Eagle board file

ams0401

Joined Sep 12, 2013
Hello everyone I was wondering if anyone could turn my small design into a Eagle board file for me, Its a simple design if anyone can help I would really appreciate it thank you.

Attachments

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Is there a reason why you don't want to do it? It is quite simple, and I'm sure even a beginner would be able to do the layout.

If you really want, though, just send me a list of the part numbers and specs, and I'll do it for you. I'm happy to design small boards for members here at no cost, but I generally charge for any larger boards, especially for non-members. ;)

Regards,
Matt

ams0401

Joined Sep 12, 2013
It's not really that I don't want to do it, its that when I do I'm not sure if its correct or not or if I have the placement of components correctly, like I'm not sure how close to the edge of the board to place the barrel jack things like that. I can export the design as a gerber file if that would help and then you could tell me if I have the placement right.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
It's not really that I don't want to do it, its that when I do I'm not sure if its correct or not or if I have the placement of components correctly, like I'm not sure how close to the edge of the board to place the barrel jack things like that. I can export the design as a gerber file if that would help and then you could tell me if I have the placement right.
You can post the Eagle .sch and .brd files here on the forum. If you send them to me I'd be happy to take a look.

Regards,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
You're not using Eagle? I highly recommend you do, it's a great program and, while it has its limits, it works very well for most hobbyists.

ams0401

Joined Sep 12, 2013
I'm still learning is all and just assumed that since the program I was using didn't have the option, that it was something that would be pricey for someone just learning

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
I'm still learning is all and just assumed that since the program I was using didn't have the option, that it was something that would be pricey for someone just learning
Not at all, the freeware version of Eagle is just that--free. You can download it here: http://www.cadsoftusa.com/download-eagle/

In the setup process, just tell it to run as freeware. Start off with the schematic--draw it out--then use the schematic as a reference to design the PCB layout. I think this would be a great project for a beginner to learn the ropes of Eagle projects.

Regards,
Matt

ams0401

Joined Sep 12, 2013
Ok I downloaded it and I will try and see if I can get it done then I will load the file and if you wouldn't mind looking at it and telling me if its ok or not I would appreciate it.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Ok I downloaded it and I will try and see if I can get it done then I will load the file and if you wouldn't mind looking at it and telling me if its ok or not I would appreciate it.
Absolutely. And before you start, I'll give you a hint: Avoid right-angle traces on the PCB, and allow a few millimeters clearance between the component leads/traces and the edge of the board.

Just a couple hints to get you started. :)

Good luck, and have fun!

Matt

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Some things that are not immediately obvious ...

The resistors will have voltage across them and therefore will dissipate power as heat. You have the resistors arranged all in a neat line, which is great for appearances' sake - however, it's not so good for getting rid of that heat. I suggest that you stagger the resistors to get more space between them. Also, use thick traces; it costs nothing more, and acts like a heat sink to radiate that power away from the resistors.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Some things that are not immediately obvious ...

The resistors will have voltage across them and therefore will dissipate power as heat. You have the resistors arranged all in a neat line, which is great for appearances' sake - however, it's not so good for getting rid of that heat. I suggest that you stagger the resistors to get more space between them. Also, use thick traces; it costs nothing more, and acts like a heat sink to radiate that power away from the resistors.
Good to see you, Sgt!

Excellent points. It hadn't even crossed my mind to consider the temperature factors. It would help to know what the OP is using this for, and what its power specifications are.

Regards,
Matt

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Ok here's the schematic, however putting it correctly on the board is got me all messed up.
First of all, did you use the link tool to help you transfer the schematic to the PCB? Doing it separately is very difficult and especially not recommended for beginners.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Also, when creating schematics, avoid angled lines as much as possible. Try to keep them at right angles, and do not overlap other components. Also try to avoid overlapping text.

ams0401

Joined Sep 12, 2013
Yeah I used the link tool but when I do the airwires are all over the place and crossing each other and going to the wrong spots

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Furthermore, after closer examination of the schematic, only the first resistor is connected. Do not connect a wire horizontal to and directly touching the resistor lead. This won't connect them. Use a small wire to connect the resistor end to the long vertical wire.