E-book Text Zoom Feature

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
To improve readability of the on-line e-book a new text-zoom feature has been introduced (see attached image).

Please feel free to provide feedback on the functionality of the zoom feature and report any problems you notice.

Thanks.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Hey everyone,

I just got done re-writing the backend (boy my code was sloppy). The re-write will make it much easier to add new features to the site.

For instance, I just implemented a "Recently Browsed" feature, which will keep track of the last 5 pages you read. This will allow people to easily return to the pages they were reading when they re-visit the site.

As always, feedback is much appreciated

Thanks!

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
For instance, I just implemented a "Recently Browsed" feature, which will keep track of the last 5 pages you read. This will allow people to easily return to the pages they were reading when they re-visit the site.
Nice touch, I wondered why the site was down this afternoon.

Have you increased the default font size? It changes as the page is rendering, and seems larger than before.

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
The datacenter where the server is hosted was doing maintenance between 5-7 CST

As for the font, the font zoomer sets a cookie with the selected size, so whenever you visit the site it automatically brings back the font size you chose. I'm not 100% happy with this solution - I think it is best to go the CSS route to handle font sizes, so I may be messing around with it in the next couple days.

The search feature has also been updated, incorporating Google's Search API, so results are displayed on AAC.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Thanks for the info Rob.

I can see the situation with the text size now, and agree with what you are saying - have a default size that you can change thereafter.

The new search looks much better. One point I would make is that when you search, you get forum results interspearsed with e-book results - is there a way to get the e-book results to come out on top of forum results? This may not be desirable. But there are possibilities to provide two search options via two search buttons - one for searching the e-book (have the search string specify site:www.allaboutcircuits.com), and one for searching the forums (have the search string specify site:www.forum.allaboutcircuits.com).

What do you think?

Dave

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
Great idea Dave.

It's setup now that by default it searches both, and you can then refine the search to limit to just the textbook or forum by clicking the appropriate link.

Dave

Joined Nov 17, 2003
Great idea Dave.

It's setup now that by default it searches both, and you can then refine the search to limit to just the textbook or forum by clicking the appropriate link.
Thanks Rob, works a treat.

Dave