Dvorak users?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I dunno I may research it. You could do it with stickers and macro's. But if the QWRTY KB was designed to slow your typing down I'd like to see how different the computer optimized layout works.

Markd77

Joined Sep 7, 2009
I can't seem to find anything now, but I think the original was simply abcdef. You can still see a chunk of alphabetical order on the middle row (missing the I).

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Brownout, founds this for me along time ago.......he probably doesn't remember.

I worked with a programmer who said he help developed these, who knows. Cool though.

Sensing Gloves

Edit: I didn't test the link, fixed.

Last edited:

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
me too, which is why i switched to colemak, it maintains those shortcuts in easy to reach places

colemak was assembled by looking at colected keyboard data, and computer generated the most efficient possible layout accounting for key combos

Awesome! I think I would be faster two-finger typing on that Colemak. Where did you get the keyboard?

Maxpower097 said:
I dunno I may research it. You could do it with stickers and macro's. But if the QWRTY KB was designed to slow your typing down I'd like to see how different the computer optimized layout works.
I don't think it was "to slow the typing down". The problem was that the arms that swung in to hit the paper would hit each other and jam, mainly if the arms were close together. So the keys were moved so common sequences of letters had arms from opposite sides of the set of arms (in an arc).

A lot of it was based on the crude mechanical construction where each key pressed a lever that pushed an arm.

They just figured it was easier to make the girls (and yes only girls typed) learn the keys wherever the keys were, and make the keys based on good mechanical construction;

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
Awesome! I think I would be faster two-finger typing on that Colemak. Where did you get the keyboard?
cheapest keyboard walmart had (gearhead brand if you're super curious), popped the keys off and rearranged them,then changed the input settings (colemak is included in linux and installed a package for windows)

only problem I have is that the caps lock now both backspaces, and caps locks (in linux, windows didn't change the function)

On a related topic, anyone have a mechanical keyboard?

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

I don't think it was "to slow the typing down". The problem was that the arms that swung in to hit the paper would hit each other and jam, mainly if the arms were close together. So the keys were moved so common sequences of letters had arms from opposite sides of the set of arms (in an arc).

A lot of it was based on the crude mechanical construction where each key pressed a lever that pushed an arm.

Potato Potatoe. The machines were jamming in the other layout so they used the QWERTY.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
On a related topic, anyone have a mechanical keyboard?
I actually just bought one to go with my new desktop. A friend of mine was selling a lightly-used CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro keyboard, and he offered it to me. I didn't realize until later that it was primarily a gaming keyboard, and that half of it lit up. I usually just keep the lights off on the keyboard and use it normally. I'm not a gamer.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I actually just bought one to go with my new desktop. A friend of mine was selling a lightly-used CoolerMaster Quickfire Pro keyboard, and he offered it to me. I didn't realize until later that it was primarily a gaming keyboard, and that half of it lit up. I usually just keep the lights off on the keyboard and use it normally. I'm not a gamer.
what kind of switches are in it?
(pop off a key and it's the color underneath)

If he's a gamer I guess red or black

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
ooh, nice
do you like them?

I've heard some people think they're not firm enough, or not enough of a peak resistance

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
ooh, nice
do you like them?

I've heard some people think they're not firm enough, or not enough of a peak resistance
You know, I'm used to laptop keyboards, so this thing is awfully clunky compared to what I've been using. It seems like a nice keyboard though.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
You know, I'm used to laptop keyboards, so this thing is awfully clunky compared to what I've been using. It seems like a nice keyboard though.
Now that I've switched to laptop keyboards, or the new Mac Keyboards I can't go back.

Including mistakes, about 10wpm faster.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
Now that I've switched to laptop keyboards, or the new Mac Keyboards I can't go back.

Including mistakes, about 10wpm faster.
Yup, I've gotten used to the keyboard on my Lenovo laptop, and I can usually get about 70-80 WPM on it. On the QuickFire keyboard, I'm only getting about 50-60.

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
speed is just a matter of getting used to it
laptop keyboards require very little force or actuation, so lighter touches let you type faster
with something else, you'd need to change your typing style to be a bit more aggressive
I'm getting to the same speed with my external as I am with my laptop

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
I hate squidgy keyboards! Laptops even worse!

Only big heavy old "clicky" keyboards for me. The one I am using now has "IBM" logo in the corner, giving you an idea of its age... ;)

magnet18

Joined Dec 22, 2010
I hate squidgy keyboards! Laptops even worse!

Only big heavy old "clicky" keyboards for me. The one I am using now has "IBM" logo in the corner, giving you an idea of its age... ;)
model M?
Thats one I'm seriously considering getting :)

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
By the way, my keyboard still has the original box and internal packaging.

This offer applies to anyone else who might be interested too, in case Magnet decides he doesn't want it :D