dvi-i cable clarifiation

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by bhuvanesh, Jun 14, 2014.

1. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    while i was reading about dvi-i cables i have seen that it can support both analog video signal and digital video signals.can u explain me about the difference between analog and digital video signals . thanks you

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    bhuvanesh likes this.
  3. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    it was rose from there.i read the but not completely.VGA connectors can only carry a limited analog signal while DVI cables carry the added data of a digital signal.what they mean by that analog signals since incomputer everything became digital.thank you

4. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    In computer not everything is digital.

Take your sound card. Computer sends digital data to the sound card, but what comes out is analog signal. Between the cpu and the speakers the sound card converted digital into analog.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  5. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    i heard lcd screen have digital input and analog input.but my lcd monitor(acer)only have analog input.i ensured this because its connector is vga

6. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you see the pin layout on the wiki page?
    I have marked the pins that are used for analog output:

[​IMG]

Bertus

bhuvanesh likes this.
  7. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I have dual input Acer lcd. I connected hdmi from xbox360 to the dvi input on the lcd, vga from video card to the vga input on the lcd. Mine is Acer AL2216W.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  8. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    thats an analog out of dvi-i.mine is vga.i know if a monitor has only vga port its only capable of analog input.so mine is analog monitor, right or wrong

9. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    VGA has always been analog.

Also they make DVI to VGA adapters. So if you have newer video card that only has DVI and you have older monitor that only has VGA, you use adapter to convert DVI to VGA. The adapter connects DVI analog wires to the VGA wires.

I got Sony CRT monitor (VGA only) hooked up to nVidia GTX460 (DVI only) using such adapter.

bhuvanesh likes this.
  10. bhuvanesh

Thread Starter Member

Aug 10, 2013
    one last doubt.every one says that video card do his work and then its feed to computer and sound card converts the digital things to analog.but explicitly i did not see that on my cpu.is it embedded in pc.if so where it will be.thank you