Dvd-rom... Trouble!!!

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by JUAN DELA CRUZ, Jul 16, 2008.

1. JUAN DELA CRUZ

Thread Starter Active Member

May 27, 2008
    I have a problem regarding a DVD-ROM drive.

The drive can read DVDs only.. but can't read or/ even burn an ordinary type of CD such as CD-R/ CD-RW.

My knowledge in Computer is limited, that's why I am seeking for some help to solve this problem.

I am looking forward for your favorable response.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.:)

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    There may be dust on the lens.

Try using clean, dry compressed air to blow out any dust.

CD/DVD readers are not terribly reliable. However, they are very inexpensive compared to years ago.

3. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    Thanks Sergeant...

The problem first occur when I am burning a Powerpoint presentation to a CD-RW and suddenly power cuts out (I don't have a UPS)
    ...since then the DVD-rom can only read a DVDs.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Ut-oh. :(

There was likely a surge of power when the outage happened, and your CD/DVD writer is now damaged.

I'm afraid that your best solution is to buy a new one.

You could try un-installing and re-installing the drivers for it, but I'm not optomistic that will fix the problem.

5. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    If the DVD-ROM drive was damage 'coz of surge of current why it can still read a DVDs clearly??? ...I don't have an option just to try to fix it 'coz i don't have enough budget to buy the new one.:(

Can you guide me to perform this solution.. sorry my computer knowledge is true limited but if their will be a step-by-step procedure to be follow I can do it.

Thanks

6. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    Try adjusting/aligning the CD pots, their locations vary with models, usually focus and tracking and the words CD are printed next to them some models have one pot others may have upto 4 pots not always marked on the printed circuit board. If you do not have an aligment meter nor schematics try with very small increments and see if it reads the CDs. If you move the DVD pot and mis-align the DVD part you can always get it back but you need to know what was the starting position so mark them.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  7. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    You mean I need to open the cover of the DVD-Rom drive?
    ... do you think their is no complicated parts that can be damage if I open it?

Thanks

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
  8. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    Unless you know telekinesis powers I am afraid you are going to need to open the Drive.

9. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    lol..:D
    > I really don't have an experiece in opening a DVD-Rom, that's why I'm asking (to whom w/ experience) if their is a possibilities of sensitive parts damage if I open IT.

10. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    You are never going to learn or get experience unless you get down and dirty with anything you intent to learn. If you are afraid of damaging parts by static electricity use a wirst band. Rule number one in troubleshooting is :
    If it ain't broke don't fix it. But yours it is half way damaged to begin with.

11. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    Can I open & test IT even the PC is still ON?

Regarding what SGT.Wookie said... Do you know how can I RE-Install the DVD-Rom driver?

Thanks

12. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    I think is better if you don't mess with it; I think you will not be able to align it properly.
    In windows go to control pannel system tools and go to the CDROM and update driver.
    In google you can find plenty of info.

13. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    I think I have another problem... I UNINSTALL the CD-rom driver but I can't RE-INSTALL it again..

Please help me..

Thanks

14. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Well, what version of Windows are you running, or are you running a different operating system?

If you uninstall the drivers and re-boot, Windows should automatically detect and install drivers for your CD/DVD.

You may have to force it to detect new hardware using the Add New Hardware Wizard in the Control Panel.

If it still doesn't find it, get the manufacturer and model number of your CD/DVD burner, and go to the manufacturer's site to see if they have drivers that you can download.

15. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Do not attempt to apply power the CD/DVD burner with the cover removed.

You may be exposed to invisible laser light, which can very quickly cause blindness.

16. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    oK I had Re-install IT again... (RESTORE)

Thanks Sgt. for your precaution:).

Do you have any other idea Sir on how can I fix this DVD-Rom instead of buying a new one?

Thanks

17. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Trying to repair it will be a problem; you'll probably need a schematic for it, and you probably won't be able to get a schematic.

You don't have the protective eyewear which is necessary when working on laser equipment. There is a very real possibility of becoming permanently blind by attempting to work on this device. It is not worth risking losing your sight.

It's not very likely that you will be able to figure out what is wrong inside the device, as most of the components will be SMT/SMD, and likely have manufacturer "house markings" on them (if at all) to help resist reverse-engineering efforts. They are not really designed to be repaired; just to last for a couple of years until the warranty runs out. If you do happen to find some burned/cracked components, it's unlikely that you will be able to determine what the actual component is supposed to be, unless you happen to get lucky.

CD/DVD burners are really getting cheap in the USA. I haven't looked lately, but I bought one a couple of years ago for around $35.

Oh, and I have a stack of four dead CD/DVD players in the corner of my workbench. :rolleyes:

18. theamber

Jun 13, 2008
    No that is not true you don't need special glasses when working on low power laser diodes like the ones on OP's CDROM. I have aligned many of them bared eyed and look on in more than one ocasion to the lense activated beam and I am 20/20 eye sight. You can also buy the "laser pickup" which is what goes wrong with them you do not need to replace the entire drive. I dont recommed that you look straight down and if you could advoid looking is better, you dont need to look at it anyways.
    Tell that to all the kids that has modified their Playstations and has messed so much with their lasers From CD or DVD roms from playstations and xboxes. Plenty of info on google how to align Playstations DVDs.
    This I am talking from experience.

19. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    > 35U$ is approx. 1,442Philippine Peso... that's a BIG money.

Can you send those stack CD/ DVD players to me here in the Philippines? .... LOL

But seriously, I think your right, troubleshooting a DVD-Rom isn't an easy task esp. for an Undergraduate student like me:rolleyes:.

Thanks for both of you...

[​IMG]SgtWookie [​IMG]

&

[​IMG]theamber [​IMG]

I really appreciate it.

20. JUAN DELA CRUZ

May 27, 2008
    Do you mean the LASER Diode found inside a PS & Xbox is same w/ the DVD-Rom?
    ...Anyways, I don't have an old PS/ Xbox & even the New one..LOL:D

...but in another FORUM said buying a LASER diode is much expensive than buying a new DVD-Rom.:confused: