Dumpster Dives

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
No, you can express your opinion, but get used to seeing the same old boring response from me explain why we do things we the way we do so other people (beginners) understand.

We are good as far as personal interactions go. I do consider you one of my friends here.
Good. I want to continue to be friends. Thanks for your reply.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I recently had an up-close encounter with electronics recycling. I had two old tube TVs and some miscellaneous e-junk to get rid of. The TVs were good as new, but so old that no one wants them anymore. One didn't even support using a remote! It's very hard for me to toss "perfectly good" stuff like that, but I'm getting better.

Anyway, I found the one place in town where you can leave TVs and not pay a fee. When I drove up to this big blue shipping container, I could see other TVs and printers and such left next to it. My big mistake was pulling open the doors. Out poured a couple TVs and desktop tower PCs, nearly crushing my feet. It was like that scene in "Duck Soup" when the porter opens the cabin on the ship, and the entire cast pours out into the hall.

The whole container was stacked from floor to ceiling with TVs, PCs, projection TVs, cellphones, power bricks, printers, cables and on and on. Many smaller items were still new in their original packaging. It took my daughter and I quite a while in the sweltering heat to safely reload everything that had fallen out. When we had finally latched the door, I still had my two TVs to get rid of.

I could have spent hours in there salvaging "the good stuff" but I knew I had to turn away. Seeing it all made me realize that my basement cache of cables, AC adapters, old printers and so forth, is worth less than zero. There's better junk elsewhere and there's nothing unique about MY junk pile. If you ever need any of that kind of stuff, just go to a recycling center and take your pick.

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
It is so hard to let go of stuff, but seeing empty space where it used to be is rewarding. And I think the number of times I have wished for something I threw out are greatly outnumbered by the times that I didn't. Let that be a lesson to me.

boatsman

Joined Jan 17, 2008
Anyway, I found the one place in town where you can leave TVs and not pay a fee. When I drove up to this big blue shipping container, I could see other TVs and printers and such left next to it. My big mistake was pulling open the doors. Out poured a couple TVs and desktop tower PCs, nearly crushing my feet. It was like that scene in "Duck Soup" when the porter opens the cabin on the ship, and the entire cast pours out into the hall.
Sorry Wayneh, you are mistaken. The scene you quote is on a ship in A Night At The Opera (1935), not Duck Soup.

Glenn Holland

Joined Dec 26, 2014
I've often imagined inventing an artificial Neutron Star that could reprocess all the waste from the world into new raw material.

The first stage is a shredder to grind the waste to minute particles, then a conveyor to the "reprocessor" which contains a rapidly spinning ball of neutrons.

The main problem is how to make the neutron star go "Super Nova" or "Big Bang" and discharge all the elements back to the plant for shipping and reuse. :)

Joined Nov 30, 2010
If you ever need any of that kind of stuff, just go to a recycling center and take your pick.
My county recycling center has strange rules. (What did you expect? The government runs it.) I took two towers and a dead TV there and they refused me because anybody with 2 computers must be a business, and businesses aren't allowed to recycle. :confused: Then they guard the junk like it's Fort Knox. All I can figure is that some people can be corrupted by a very tiny bit of power. "Ooh, I'm in charge of the junk bin! I better bring my pistol and guard it!"

So, the towers and the TV went into a Dumpster behind my doctor friend's office. It sure is good the government is protecting our environment like that. :rolleyes:

[/sarc off]

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Sorry Wayneh, you are mistaken. The scene you quote is on a ship in A Night At The Opera (1935), not Duck Soup.
I took a wild guess about which movie it was and didn't worry because I was confident while writing, that if I was wrong, a correction would soon follow. Well done, boatsman.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
All I can figure is that some people can be corrupted by a very tiny bit of power. "Ooh, I'm in charge of the junk bin! I better bring my pistol and guard it!"
Oddly, our local bin is in a parking lot of a Mobil station, and unguarded. After our ordeal to get it stuffed back in and the door sealed, the manager of the gas station came out and suggested that next time we don't open the door.

I assured her there was not going to be a next time. But it occurs to me know, how the heck am I supposed to put my TV in if I don't open the door? I wish I had asked her. There was a stern sign to NOT just leave it on the ground.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
No idea what to use them for but might be useful for a CNC type application.
http://www.microesystems.com/sites/default/files/LP-Data_Sheet-Packaged_DRC-M35.pdf
Nice encoders but a little misleading in the specs and also shows that even manufacturers can make definition mistakes!
It says high resolution encoders with 360,000 counts per rev, but later mentions 'with quadrature' which in itself is a mistaken definition, they are quadrature (90°) already.
Typically encoders are listed in basic quadrature pulses, if one wishes the resolution can be increased by multiplying the quad pulses by either 2x or 4x by counting the appropriate separate edges.
Either they are 90,000 pulse per rev with external option of x4 (360,000).
OR they are 360,000 x4 counts/rev after multiplying, IOW 1,440,000 counts/rev??
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
These are a little different from just run of the mill encoders so I don't think it's misleading when options are considered. The electronic interpolation looks at the changing voltage levels in the slots between emitter and detector between disc full edge changes as it moves and generates quadrature disc fraction count codes up to 10X (as an option) the disc counts internally. This allows the slots to be larger to eliminate fringing effects. It also have differential read heads to eliminate noise during that process.

The 4X external is nothing special, just normal quadrature decoding of all the edges.

This level of precision is needed to move large wafer platforms to the correct position so wafers can be placed near the edge at an index within a few mills as it rotates.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
But their use of the term External Quadrature is still a wrong IMO.
The term Quadrature in this context is due to the fact of a 90° phase shift of two pulses and confusion can arise when the same term is used to describe two different conditions, in this case the term applies to an internal design condition, quadrature pulse decoding to obtain x4 is generally an external condition and an error to use the description this way, it is either x1, x2, or x4 basic encoder counts.
Anything higher than 100 counts/rev in an optical encoder is usually done with a small grating using the Moiré effect in order to read individual gratings.
Max.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
But their use of the term External Quadrature is still a wrong IMO.
The term Quadrature in this context is due to the fact of a 90° phase shift of two pulses and confusion can arise when the same term is used to describe two different conditions, in this case the term applies to an internal design condition, quadrature pulse decoding to obtain x4 is generally an external condition and an error to use the description this way, it is either x1, x2, or x4 basic encoder counts.
Anything higher than 100 counts/rev in an optical encoder is usually done with a small grating using the Moiré effect in order to read individual gratings.
Max.
I agree on purely technical grounds but its a term of art that's used in the direct drive controllers for these types of systems as (post, 1-4x or some other term) with quadrature but (X4 logic) is also used.

Lets open the box to see what's inside. Hard for me to tell what technology they are using.

Big pictures

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Back in the 1960s and 70s, old main frame computers were dismantled by hand piece by piece and the parts were sold us surplus.

Unfortunately today, electronic products are shredded and the raw material is recycled:

That company has a whole series of "will it shred videos" here is a vw - old school.

They were at a government subcontractor that I was visiting. They were setting up to shred entire file cabinets filled with secure documents. The shredded material was going to go directly into a tunnel furnace to get carbonized.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R!f@@ General Electronics Chat 14
R General Electronics Chat 2