Dumb Question

joeslawn

Joined Oct 14, 2013
I am just exploring the internet looking for something tonight. I am trying to figure out what would be a good source of heat to warm up a thermostat to keep an a/c unit running? One person suggested a light bulb, however, I would think there would be something else out there but I can't figure out what it might be called/where to find it. I also found trace electric heating or heat tape... anybody care to clue me in? Thanks

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
That's a pretty odd question. An a/c usually employs a thermostst to regulatethe temp at a predetermined level. Why monkey with it?

Guess you can always hold it under your arm.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Keep it simple. You have to hold a hair dryer all the time and you have to keep pushing the button down on a toaster, so just move an end table under the thermostat and put a desk lamp on it.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Incandescent light bulbs are great options because all of the energy is lost to heat. Even the photons of light they emit are converted to heat when absorbed by a substrate. Bulbs are also available in many different wattages and voltage combinations. On top of that, sockets to mount your bulbs are also widely available.

That being said, I would like to learn more about your motivations.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I assume you have some type of thermostat you can't adjust. :confused:

I go with GopherT. Even a small 5W incandescent light bulb should put out enough heat to significantly raise the temperature in the thermostat. Just mount the bulb directly below the thermostat.