Dual Timer Project Help

ripready

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hi,

Would like to know if anyone could help me build a circuit for the following project. I know it's simple but I don't have the skill and time to do it. Would also be willing to pay someone to build this for me, but please contact me offline for this. If interested PM me and I will supply you with my Email address.

Here's the project, I have a heat press that currently uses a timer similar to this: Omron H5CN. However there is a need to constantly use two different timer settings. For example, I need to set the timer for 20 seconds, then switch the timer to 60 seconds. I don't want to have to constantly change the timer back and forth. Also, I know there are dual setting timers but these generally work at a timed interval and I need to control when I do it (which varies in time) so this is not an option.

So what I thought was, use two Omron H5CN (or similar) and just have a toggle switch that selects the appropriate timer I want to use. This is a 240VAC project so a little hesitant in just wiring something up simple.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or, if you're interested in helping me build this, please contact me via PM and I will send my email address.

Thanks

Henry

Last edited by a moderator:

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
Henry,

Go back and edit your email addresses out of your post. Bots will pick it out and spam you.

People will answer you here, or through the Private Mail function on the forum.

A DPDT switch should work. Is the output to the heater switched with an electromechanical relay or a solid-state relay?

Ken

ripready

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hi Ken,

Thanks for the tip. The relay is a electromechanical one. Remember I'm limited in my electrical skills :) So the timer has two terminal connections used for power and then the output wire when the timer is triggered. If I use two of these timers and I only want the one in use powered on, would I connect the DPDT switch to the two power connections and then split them off to the two timers? Then the output wire from the two timers would connect to the relay? I would assume the DPDT switch will only allow one timer to be powered at one time so having both trigger wires hooked up wouldn't be a problem.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I agree you'll need two timers for two different timing setting.

To answer your question, more information is needed. At the present setup:

1. Does the timer display shows the digits before the timing starts? i.e. is the timer powered all the time or just come ON when it is needed.

2. Does it counts up or down?

If the answer to (1) is yes, then the timer is powered all the time. A reset/start signal is used to trigger the timer into action; otherwise the timer is wired to counts upon power ON.

This would affect how the second timer should be connected physically.

ripready

Joined Jun 7, 2009
The counter does not power on normally until I press the heat press engage buttons.

The counter counts down from whatever is set.

Now if I use a DPDT rocker switch to switch between the timers, is there anything else I need to use in the circuit. Just seems so simple to me :)

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Yes, its that simple.

Please post a photo of the present wire connections at the timer socket so that further comments can be given regarding the modification.

ripready

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Ok here is the pin diagram for the relay. I measured the voltage and it's 24VAC that comes into pins 2 and 7. This only comes on if the pushbutton switches are engaged, normally there is no voltage. Pin 7 and 8 are connected together by a wire to allow for the trigger wire to be powered by 24VAC. The trigger wire activates the pneumatic pump circuit.

Another question, the timer specifications are 100-240VAC, but there is only 24VAC for power. Will the timer still work at that voltage? I can't seem to find a timer that runs on 24VAC. The timer that is currently in the machine is a b&b milano - never heard of it. So I have no spec sheets on the timer but is it safe to assume there is only 1 type of AC timer?

Thanks for your help.

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
Ok here is the pin diagram for the relay. I measured the voltage and it's 24VAC that comes into pins 2 and 7. This only comes on if the pushbutton switches are engaged, normally there is no voltage. Pin 7 and 8 are connected together by a wire to allow for the trigger wire to be powered by 24VAC. The trigger wire activates the pneumatic pump circuit.
The exact type/model number or marking of timer relay is needed or else there is no idea which pin of the relay does what. A photo is still needed.

The timer that is currently in the machine is a b&b milano - never heard of it. So I have no spec sheets on the timer but is it safe to assume there is only 1 type of AC timer?
Certainly not. There is no standard for timers to follow. As a result, the markings or type number is needed to locate a data sheet for the original relay, if available.

Have you decided to use two Omron H5CN timer for the modification? They come in different voltages.

ripready

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Sorry I seemed to have mixed up the wording on my post. The picture is of the 8pin timer. I plan to use an Omron H5CN. However, I can only find 2 types, a 100-240V AC version and a 25VDC version - nothing else rated at a lower AC voltage. For the other timer, I will just use the original one that came with the machine which is a b&b Milano Timer DV. Can't find a datasheet on this one and no website either.

The relay itself which the timer triggers (pin #5) is a Finder Type 40.52, the datasheet can be found here:

http://www.findernet.com/comuni/pdf/S40EN.pdf