Dual temp LCD display

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by 1-3-2-4, Dec 26, 2008.

1. 1-3-2-4

Thread Starter Active Member

Dec 26, 2008
    I'm building a dual temperature display from a kit but I have a question with the PCB I want to make it neat since it will all be going in a project box.. I'm a little stuck on how to connect the pins from the PIC controller to the female 16 pin header.. do I just solder from the PIC to the female header?

picture of the schematic is here

2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    You say you're working on a kit. Doesn't the PIC go on the PCB and aren't there traces from the PIC to the LCD socket? That is pretty standard.

3. 1-3-2-4

Dec 26, 2008
    nope you supply your own PCB I ran out of solder tonight anyways so I can pause for tonight.

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Make a PCB, or use a generic PCB.

You don't want to try to solder the header right to the PIC.

5. 1-3-2-4

Dec 26, 2008
    I have a generic PCB left over but what had me confused (and I checked multiple times to make sure I'm right) how the PCB should be and the header mounted to the PCB just that the PIC i had to turn the other way to get Pin 1 to point the same way as pin 1 for the LCD. I was doing a solder bridge I already did Pin 1 of the PIC and pin 2 which connect to the header to the right spots. However I need to do the ground for Pin 1 and pin 16 which also connects to (-) on the PIC I can't do a bridge with that.. Would a wire be ok here? I just want the connection to be solid because this will be put in a car. Also i'm a little confused with the voltage regulator it's a part number LM7805C What do I use as power input leads for this?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  6. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    If you want to put this in a car, make a real PCB. This will be too unreliable after some time.

7. 1-3-2-4

Dec 26, 2008
    after taking a few breaks and running out to find some extra parts I finished.. however when I turn the power on all I get is a row of blocks seen here.

Any tips why this is happening?

*edit hmm might be that I forgot to connect D7 up to the LCD when I went to clean up.

nope still not working just showing blocks

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008