Dual supply op amp

P Del

Joined Jun 23, 2014
I've attached a schematic of a couple op amp circuits. There is a sign wave input to each of the amps.

I believe the first should center the sine wave on ground. If the supply voltages were +15.5V & -15V would the output be offset from ground.

The 2nd amp should amplify the sine wave. If the supply voltages were +125.75V & -126.52V would the output positive swing be amplified differently than the negative swing?

Attachments

dougc314

Joined Dec 20, 2013
The thing to remember with OPAMPS is that they they are not supposed to reflect power supply imbalances in their output signal. They do, slightly, by a specified property called power supply rejection ratio.

In general the PSRR is so high so that for most practical amplification purposes the error introduced is very small. In the two circuits presented here the gains are modest, ~-5 and ~10 so that the error introduced by power supply imbalance should be quite small.

However, your circuits are DC coupled. So if there is a DC component to your input signal it will be amplified by the DC gain of the circuit. If you want an arbitrary signal centered around ground you should add a series capacitor (with the input R) large enough to not cause undesired frequency (amplitude or phase) response.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
Op amps are relatively insensitive to differences in their plus and minus supply voltages so these voltages normally have a negligible affect on the offset or gain of op amp circuits.

P Del

Joined Jun 23, 2014
By "very small" & "negligible" would you mean that one swing of a +15V/-15V signal would not be 0.4V greater than the other?

Lestraveled

Joined May 19, 2014
A typical op-amp, a LF351, has a power supply rejection ratio of 80 dB.

dB= 20 log (v1/1volt), (dB volts)

80 dB = .0001 volt per 1 volt change in PS voltage.

Yup, pretty small change.

Mark

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
But (and it's been a while since I had to dig into this), the PSRR is an AC effect; that's why it changes with frequency. I don't think there is anything in a typical opamp design, other than some kind of inherent non-linearity in the input stage, that would cause a DC offset in the output related solely to an inequality in the power rails relative to GND.