Dual Polarity Power Supply

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by KansaiRobot, Mar 22, 2010.

1. KansaiRobot

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 15, 2010
    So related to my other thread.

I have to connect +V and -V (and ground) to a circuit (An amplifier)
    so I suppose I need a Dual Polarity Power Supply.

Pardon my ignorance but... do they sell this? or it has to be built?

a clarification on this concept will be very much appreciated.

Kansai

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Kansai,
    You can either buy or build a dual rail supply.

You can spend a great deal of money on one off-the-shelf that will suit most of your needs for a good while, or you can build a "n00b" version that will suit your needs for a short while at least - and may indeed prove useful for a long time to come.

First, define your needs. Then start asking questions. Be realistic. If you want much more than 1/2 Ampere at much over 15v, you will have quite a challenge. Less will get you going much more quickly.

3. russ_hensel

Jan 11, 2009
    A quick one is to take a computer power supply. Most have + - at 12 volts, moderate current. Google or look on instructables.

4. KansaiRobot

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 15, 2010
    thanks.

My needs... well that is kind of difficult as well since I dont understand the circuit. I want an output of ±10 V in the circuit so I guess I will provide ±10 V to it...so

basically a power source of +10 ground and -10v. If I can have one additional output of 12V that would be great.

the circuit that i will be using this power source on is below

the iC is Kyowa HSC-20BS ( a signal conditioner)

http://www.kyowa-ei.co.jp/product/acquisition/keiso/hsc_bs.html

(I am sorry there is no english homepage for this)

5. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  6. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Kansai,
    Google "ATX Bench Power Supply" for lots of ideas on converting an ATX form factor computer power supply to a bench power supply. It is probably the least expensive and quickest way to get what you want.

I converted an old Compaq 250W supply to a bench supply. It has +12v @ 8A, -12V @ 0.8A, +5V, -5V, +3.3V. You have to use a power resistor to place a load on the 5V supply or you wont get proper regulation on the 12v supplies.