dual polarity from a single supply

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Earthshaker, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Earthshaker

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    I got thinking the other day after reading an article that used a capicitor to power a small audio project, would it work to use 2 large value capacitors in series with the + terminal on one cap going to supply + (12 v) the - terminal of this cap connected to the + terminal of the other cap and the - terminal on cap #2 going to ground?, therefore providing a center tapped 12 volt supply (actually +6 and -6 v with a common ground), it works with 9 volt batteries to provide +9v and -9v with a common "ground". I don't have any large caps to try this myself.

2. David Bridgen

Feb 10, 2005
    Sorry to disappoint you, but it won't work.

3. Earthshaker

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Thanks David I was just curious.

4. mozikluv

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 22, 2004
    hi earthshaker,

are you referring to this kind of circuit that deriving a dual rail supply from a single rail?

5. zhi_yi

May 15, 2005
    hi, what is the function of zener diode there??? on that circuits

thanks for the answer ^^

6. David Bridgen

Feb 10, 2005
    They provide basic voltage regulation. Plus and minus 5.1 volts in this case.

7. zhi_yi

May 15, 2005
    oh, i c, thank you ^_^

erm.. please tell me how to use relay with 5 pin on it, 6 v can you give me the example with using relay on a circuit please? thanks :)

8. David Bridgen

Feb 10, 2005
    Two of the pins will be the coil connections. Two of them will be to the normally open or normally closed contacts and the other one may be the third contact if they are a change-over set.
    The coil could have its energising voltage applied with a mechanical switch or a transistor.
    It would be helpful to you if you knew the contact rating.