Dual CV1160 Integrated Stereo Amplifier

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
I found this in the skip in my college (the caretaker told me I could take whatever I wanted.) It is a DUAL brand CV1160 Integrated Stereo Amplifier. Has two switchable speaker outputs, and multiple inputs. Rated 30W/channel.

The secondary connections from the transformer have been cut.

The cover was separated from the unit but nearby to it so I've got that too.

The mains cord inside was cut.

The two fuses on the PCB are missing.

It is full of leaves... and very dirty... (I have given it a bath to clean it out.)

Otherwise it looks fine...!

My plan is to restore it, as it looks like quite a nice bit of kit. Must have been dumped by the college theatre. There were a lot of other bits there.

So I'll see how well it works, and if I can fix it.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
errrrrmmmmm....how exactly did you give it a bath?????
Put it in the bath, turned on the taps and left it there for 20 minutes, then dried it out with a hairdryer.

I admire your optimism, which shares a fine line with lunacy. :p

You should take pictures as you go.
I realised later that only the primary was cut, the secondary is fine. There are two primaries. I've found the service manual (http://www.eserviceinfo.com/download.php?fileid=46305) and it looks like these are wired in series for 230V operation.

Heh, I tried to power it up by wiring in the primary and replacing the fuses - but it's dead. I suspect the transformer may have succumbed to the rain and rust (it's been out there for several months.)

How should I test this transformer?

If the transformer is dead, then I will probably strip out the electronics, and make it into a load tester. It has a massive heatsink and a nice case.

Attachments

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Mistake #1 - Do not put electronics in water.
It's completely okay to bath electronics - this seems like a common misconception. I have put a desktop PC in a bath to clean it out before. They do require 24 hours of drying out time, though.

Damage to electronics occurs if power is applied while they are submersed.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Trim pots....?? :eek:

Hahaha !! :D
Tom boy you are in for trouble. better spray sum lubricant in to those mechanics.

tom66

Joined May 9, 2009
Care to guess what's sitting inside those trimpots? The corrosion has already begun.
Two trim pots on the main board are still fine. Some potentiometers though.

I have found the primaries of the transformer to all measure ~2Meg ohm so I'm guessing that the transformer is shot, sadly.