dsPIC FWDT(WDT_OFF)

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by D8666, Jun 19, 2014.

1. D8666

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 15, 2013
    Code ( (Unknown Language)):
    1. _FWDT(WDT_OFF);     // Watchdog timer off
    I'm going over my knowledge of dsPICs and I'm reading all the Microchip datasheets available.
    So far I have downloaded read and searched the following three datasheets.

• dsPIC30F4011/4012 Data Sheet
    • dsPIC30F/33F Programmer’s Reference Manual
    • dsPIC® Language Tools Libraries
    I was unable to locate any mention of FWDT(WDT_OFF) in any of the above PDFs.
    I have left University and now that I have the time I'm going over what I understand about PIC programming. I used the above line of code to turn off the watchdog timer but it was either taken from Microchip example programs or from lecturers examples.
    My reason for asking is I would like to know where to find it say fro example if I had no internet access and only the reference manuals I should still be able to locate the necessary syntax etc and build a program from scratch..it would appear to me that I'm missing a manual?
    Hop this makes sense!

2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    AFAIK "FWDT(WDT_OFF)" is an instruction to set a particular configuration bit.

What language did you use to program the devices? THAT is the manual you should be reading.

D8666 likes this.
  3. D8666

Nov 15, 2013
    I'm writing my code in C on Notepad++.

4. D8666

Nov 15, 2013
    You probably meant which compiler I'm using..its xc16-gcc to compile main.c into a.out and then convert a.out into a.hex using xc16-bin2hex.

I guess its the PDF about xc16 I should be looking at?

5. D8666

Nov 15, 2013
    I found it in <p30f4011.h> when I opened it in Notepad++.