DSP: Making a 'Canon Box'

Barnaby Walters

Joined Mar 2, 2011
Hello everyone,

I'm sure some of the musicians among us will be familiar with 'looping pedals' — used by musicians to record and then play back layers of loops to build up a tune solo, live.

I have had an idea for a similar kind of thing, but I'm not sure about the best way to go about it. The idea is this: A pedal that starts recording when a button is pressed, then when another button is pressed it starts playing back, whilst still recording. It would continue to record, delay, then play back at the same interval. The idea is that it could be used to play canons (rounds) solo.

Would it be best to move from PICs to dsPics programmed in C for this project? I imagine it would require I2C communication to a DAC, and some kind of EEPROM to store the audio data.

Can anyone suggest some simpler 'workouts' that would help me build an understanding of the different parts? I am unsure about program structure, and need some help!

Thanks a lot,
Barnaby

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I like this idea.

Controls. Reset, Start/Set Toggle, Loop/Overlay(Mix and Save to Loop) Toggle, Mute,

Circuits; Input with ADC, retrieve - mix - and store, and Output (Digital or DAC to Analog?)

Data Elements; Track StorageArray, EndSet Pointer, Reset Flag, Record Flag,

It should be a fun project, and I know some other people that might want to do their own versions.

This would add a pyramid type structure to the music.
I would love to see what it would sound like.