DSP and Microcontrollers

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

I've recently been looking for information about sound cards in general and how they work for a particular project. I'm wondering what are the main differences between DSPs and microcontrollers. I've worked with PIC micro in the past, but not DSP.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
A DSP is a microcotroller which is designed to execute some indtructions (especially meths related) fatser than an ordinary microcontroller and thus it is suitable for signal processing.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks mik3,

So, you can program the DSP just like a microcontroller. For now, I don't know exactly how to program any and what "kind" of C or assembly language I will be using. I'm checking out the links Bertus provided. But I do know some maths of DSP. Since the project is for an audio application involving a typical sound card, I'll search for the types of DSPs that are used in PC sound cards.

Last edited:

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
Another DSP feature that adds to their usefulness is they have very efficient and fast A-to-D converters built-in. This allows them to digitize the incoming sound signals for processing using the extensive math functions built into the DSP. DSPs typically provide very rich instruction sets to enhance their processing power.

hgmjr

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Thanks for the information. I understand that a digital filter consists of a DSP with ADC and DAC for analogue interfacing.

Last edited: