DSO 201 oscilloscope

Nicholas Olcan

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Hi Everyone,
Back in October 2013 I got a DSO 201 scope with the intention to use it for some simple audio work and to try to "see" the busses on my car.
It works,but I'm kind of disappointed because it displays the purple wave on the screen which has no meaning for me and just clutters unnecessarily
the screen.
I tried to update the software,but my computer doesn't even recognize it,or says "the USB devce malfunctioned.I tried also to follow Google information,but I'm not too good in playing with computers.
This way the nice colorful scope ended up in the desk drawer and I'm still using my black and white old Velleman.
I would really appreciate if anybody can help me to "get rid of that annoying purple wave".
Thank you for help,Nicholas.
I attached some pictures of the screen.

Attachments

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
Scroll down to the "EX" setting and press ok until it disappears...

I don't know what it is either... it has something to do with the external trigger....

Why do you need to update the firmware???

Nicholas Olcan

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Scroll down to the "EX" setting and press ok until it disappears...

I don't know what it is either... it has something to do with the external trigger....

Why do you need to update the firmware???
Hi Ian,
Thank you for your help,I followed your instructions and I'm happy to get a "clean screen"
Now I have a new problem: How can I bring the displayed wave in the middle of the screen? Kind of pressing randomly the keys on Calibration Mode I managed to move the "Zero Line" down,till it disappeared,but I was not able to move it upward to the middle of the screen.
Unfortunately,the User Manual I have is not that helpful,and the scope itself,even if it looks like a toy is a quite complicated machine.
Just not to forget,I considered changing or upgrading the software in the hope I could get rid of the purple wave.
Thank you again,and have a nice day.Nicholas

Attachments

Ian Rogers

Joined Dec 12, 2012
They are actually very easy to use

Yn = everything todo with the y axis... Press "M" and you can..

change the Y scale
change the probe attenuation (x10 and x1 )
change the range fit
move the y offset ( this is what you want!!)
move the cursor position V1
move the cursor position V2
Hide !!

Xn is for the X scale, timebase, sample depth...etc..
Tr is the trigger menu... Sync, Sensitivity, threshold... etc..
M is measuring... Freq, duty, Vrms...etc..
Ex for external reference
Fn memory save bitmap, buffer, csv... etc..
Sn Signal out
Ca is calibration..

Cool piece of kit...

Nicholas Olcan

Joined Feb 22, 2013
Thank you very much Ian,
With your help I was able to bring to use the "forgotten toy".I'm really happy to find that if you set the Ex function to Off,the purple wave won't come on the screen again.
Also,following your guide I managed to "center" the measured wave on the screen.
You're right,for some basic quick checking,it's a cool tool.Thank you again,I appreciate.
Nicholas.