DS1052 O-scope problems, all voltages drops to zero

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hspalm, Jul 14, 2011.

1. hspalm

Thread Starter Active Member

Feb 17, 2010
    Hi,
    I'm just having this problem with my Rigol DS1052 oscilloscope. I'm having a bit of a hard time explaining this, but will include all info that I can think of to make it easier to understand.

I was measuring the waveform from a RF car remote control chip when I saw that the triggered signal was tilting downwards at the end. The amplitude of the signal did not seem disturbed, but the 0v pulse marks was negative. I thought it was strange, so I tried to measure a clean regulated 5v DC voltage from my desktop power supply, it dropped almost instantly to 0v.

The waveform on the test-pins on the scope is fine!

When I try to hold the transmit button on the car remote so the scope re-triggers, the waveform looks wobbly and sets at about 50/50 positive/negative waveform. That means +/-6v, since it operates from a 12v battery.

Argh, I don't know how to explain this further, but if you have any ideas, please post them. I will try to capture some example waveforms soon so I can show in more detail.

I do not remember to be messing with any settings other than the ones I am confident in making changes to.

Thank you!

2. praondevou

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 9, 2011
    The 5V drop to 0V sounds like if the channel you are using is set to AC-coupling.

3. hspalm

Feb 17, 2010
    You're kidding me. Can't wait to get back home to see if AC coupling is set. Love your avatar

4. hspalm

Feb 17, 2010
    Sure enough, AC coupling, thank you for noticing. I know now that it happened when I hit download-button instead of upload-button in scope pc-interface on the settings tab. Should have noticed. Thanks again