Drum machine idle noise

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MarFene, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MarFene

Thread Starter Member

Feb 27, 2014
    i am currently working on a project i started in my free time. i am trying to construct a drum machine , which is going better than expected. something which is giving me nightmares is the ammount of noise i am getting when the device is started

This can be noted int he first seconds of this video

any suggestions on how i can pull down this noise is highly appreciated.

I was noting that a 555 timer working on the same power supply can be clearly heard in the noise.

also this video shows a partial of the circuit from above since the other video does not show much.

i know you are going to ask for schematics , but these are unfortunately not available since the breadboard is ongoing various impromptu changes.

This circuit is of my design , and it is much simpler than it looks.

2. Veracohr

Jan 3, 2011
    Do you have power supply decoupling?

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. MarFene

Thread Starter Member

Feb 27, 2014
    since there are several timers on the same power rail , does that mean that i have to add capacitance to my voltage rails as a whole? i am actually blaiming the cheap chinese mb102 power supply i am using

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Each NE555 will need to be decoupled by an 1-10 μF tantalium and a 0.1 μF ceramic capacitor.

Bertus

6. MarFene

Thread Starter Member

Feb 27, 2014
    that'll have to wait till this weekend then gotta get some tantalums hah . how about paper?

7. MarFene

Thread Starter Member

Feb 27, 2014
    didnt really work with paper caps just tried it with 1 uf and 0.47 uf in parallel. had no difference on the noise