Drugstore beetles selective for different types of bread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by takao21203, Feb 28, 2013.

1. takao21203

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Apr 28, 2012
    Somehow drugstore beetles found a way inside my kitchen.

I am living with them for about 2 years now.

Spiders pile up their carcasses in small heaps and in turn, there are about 30 spiders around. They are also interested in dust mites sometimes I see them around free running everywhere.

I have one bag with old toast slices, multigrain, brown, and white toast bread.

The drugstore beetles actually leave the white bread alone.

The multigrain slices are full of emerging holes.

It is not a real threat, they are only interested in old stuff which is around for at least 1/2 year.

Otherwise I keep packages shut, or I use them within a month- no drugstore beetles in there.

I have really isolated them into one bag.

Indeed white bread seem to have poor nutritional value this is why they leave it alone except a very few holes.

2. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    House cleaning?

3. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    You guys don't understand, I found a beetle outside a fast food place. Laying on its

back ,it would not run away. I went inside and ask the clerk for a star foam cup and

lid. I was going to check it out in the morning,when I got around to check out my

beetle. I openned the cup, no beetle....there was a neat hole in the cup. There is

follow up work to be done. Have you had a beetle escape its contaner,if so what

type. You could re-inact my cup escape..inside a fool-proof container..you hope.

Any takers,it would be neat to watch under microscrope.

4. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Not quite.

Read the thread title again.

Drugstore beetles are interesting because they solemny rely on a single piece of stored food. They develope inside the bread slices then the beetles emerge through holes.

They don't seem to like the white bread, or even they don't make it inside there.

Ever since then, I don't buy cakes anymore or other sugar bakery products made from white meal.

Poor nutritional value obviously.

They'd make good material for scientists or to test foods sold to people in the end.

Rats for instance are not quite the same, they don't normally rely on a single type of food, they do not live inside there, they do drink water.

Yet they are used to test food additives, normally by testing larger and large doses to see until they develope a cancer or something.

Rats are complex mammals which live for years.

Drugstore beetles are bugs which live for max. 2 weeks in their beetle stage.

Of course I could get rid of them.
    Actually I have cleaned everything and removed things they could eat.

And the spiders make a living out of them.

5. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Researchers always are met by ignorance. Until the smell of big money emerges. Many of them historically did not make it and end up poor.

6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    How about there ability to escape and the process that start whatever it takes to

escape. Laying around until caught,then the reaction....that what I'm asking....being

a little curious. How about it.

7. tracecom

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 16, 2010
    If eliminating my ignorance means living with dozens of spiders, piles of bug carcases, sacks of months old bread, and colonies of beetles, I choose to remain uninformed.

shortbus and #12 like this.
  8. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    Reseach,the beetles are boring into trees and killing forest, do they practice

on star foam cups. Video games....no forest........GaG...GaG....cancer.

Is mans mind in the right place.

9. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Science has a high price, after all. Or any kind of research. You have to try things nobody tried, and in most cases, people would say things about you.

There is one bag. And yes spiders everywhere. I would have no difficulties to find one for a photo. I know of the larger one's which permanently stay in their webs. They are rather 50 of them if I count the smaller one's.

The good thing is they'd stay inside the bag, I have successfully isolated them into there.

10. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    Different beetles and they hide into Super Nintendo controllers.
    If you buy a used Super Nintendo look for bug. Or Cancer.

11. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    There was a cancer drug developed when a lab tech found out that the frog skins

didn't smell and the rats skins did rot and smell. Think about all the flat frog skins

you have seen in the road,no smell. All the smelly rodents that have to be removed.

12. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    In a plants container I have about 200 or 300 pillbugs living as well.
    They mostly stay in there, sometimes I need to rescue one from the sink.
    Yesterday I found one in the bath.

13. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Poor thing, which underarm first?

14. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    I make them walk on a small piece of cardboard,

15. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    Highly illogical, beetles aren't people. What if you found a dung beetle that only eats one kind of dung?

16. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    French people being hungry. Coming to the royal Palace. Shouting "We have no bread!".

Marie Antoinette: "They shall eat cake then".

If you think these laced cakes and tartlets are good for you, it is a choice you make.

But apparently rats are people, that is why they are used to test hygiene products and food additives.

17. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Insects and vermin don't belong on the inside of your home. Unless there are some real controls such as a tank or a cage, they can create some real health issues. They should not be free roaming through the home. Anyone that thinks otherwise has some real physiological issues going on and needs to seek some help.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  18. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    I have outlined a while ago we have mice here in older houses, and they fall inside the water tank on the attic.

That's an issue for real.

I have read many pest control websites, pillbugs don't distribute any real threat. Spiders as well can be left alone safely.

You would not notice anything unless I show you where they are.

19. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Having wood lice suggests your home is moist. Moisture and 1/2 year old bread suggests mold. Mold, regardless of your spider and beetle friends, is quite dangerous to your health.

By the way, woodlice have been known to eat cultivated plants.... goodbye pineapples!

20. takao21203

Apr 28, 2012
    There is no mould and it is dry.

I am not adding new bread to the bag, so once it is used up, they can not sustain living anymore.

The pillbugs actually live inside the container, made their way into it from outdoors. I am even feeding them.

99.9% really stay inside there.

Don't quite understand your problems.

Some years ago I have even been feeding brown rats out there in the wilderness. One time I saw a family of them, carrying away the bread slices.

Always wanted to do it again + take photos with digital camera, but in the end, I did not do it.

The place is a landfill actually, soon we are getting an incinerator next to there. Have not been there for a few years- there are more important things to do.