Drugs question?

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
not always true. I was the epitome of the "ADD kid" and now the epitome of the "Adult ADD guy". Coffee just makes me irritable, doesn't help me focus. I'm not on any meds. I was for a while in high school but didn't like them. I don't buy into the "disability" aspect of it. If its a disability, then I would rather take "one legged athlete" stance, than the "make it go away with medication" stance. But I think its just a personality thing.
I didn't mean to imply for adults. I honestly can't say either way if it works for them. I have only used/seen it used on kids, and it works really well helping them focus. ADD is also misdiagnosed a lot. I never noticed any irritability when I drink coffee.

I stopped taking meds when the school took my class out for a camping trip and kept me on the meds. It was "for my health". so my dad took me off Ritalin.

Edit:: ADD/ADHD

Last edited:

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
I stopped taking meds when the school took my class out for a camping trip and kept me on the meds. It was "for my health". so my dad took me off Ritalin.
People respond different to different meds. I've worked in an institution for kids, in the age 13-18, with multi diagnoses. ADD, ADHD, DAMP and the like. Some of the kids got meds, and some didn't.

I remember especially one kid, and the first time he tried Ritalin. He took the pill and waited for about 20 mins. Then he went out. He walked slowly towards some trees, where there were some birds. He stood there and listened and watch for 40 minutes.

Afterwards, when he was questioned about the stop he said. "For the first time I've been so calm that I could hear the birds."

He was on Ritalin for a few months, until we caught him pulverizing the pills and give them to the other kids to sniff up their noses...

I do not believe in Ritalin as a medication for ADHD. But I believe that it can be used along with therapy and the end result is the patient/kid or who-ever to live a full life without Ritalin.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
People respond different to different meds. I've worked in an institution for kids, in the age 13-18, with multi diagnoses. ADD, ADHD, DAMP and the like. Some of the kids got meds, and some didn't.

I remember especially one kid, and the first time he tried Ritalin. He took the pill and waited for about 20 mins. Then he went out. He walked slowly towards some trees, where there were some birds. He stood there and listened and watch for 40 minutes.

Afterwards, when he was questioned about the stop he said. "For the first time I've been so calm that I could hear the birds."

He was on Ritalin for a few months, until we caught him pulverizing the pills and give them to the other kids to sniff up their noses...

I do not believe in Ritalin as a medication for ADHD. But I believe that it can be used along with therapy and the end result is the patient/kid or who-ever to live a full life without Ritalin.
It also has long term effects on the mind. It's really not a good med, and over used.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Actually the only solution for ADD is good diet and exercise. There are studies showing that children diagnosed with ADD lack magnesium, omega 3 and other essentials that built our nervous system. Might be BS though, not sure. What is for certain is that any ADD med will destroy the nervous system for sure.

almost forgot... good parenting, setting up boundaries, spending quality time outside (i.e. away from TV and computer)

Simpsons: Maggie, come to the one you love best... (Maggie hugs the TV)

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Distroy is a strong word, and I believe incorrect. We both agree that it is not good though. There are long term side effects that are not good.

When Jim was 10 he went on a school outing called Sky Ranch. It is supposed to be a 4 day weekend on a ranch, where the kids can learn about nature.

When he came back the school nurse informed me he was out of Ritalin. I asked what why she had kept him on full dosage the entire time, for his health was the phrase that was used. At that point I discontinued his perscription. For his health, Ha!, for their health they meant. He was a handful back then.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When he came back the school nurse informed me he was out of Ritalin. I asked what why she had kept him on full dosage the entire time, for his health was the phrase that was used. At that point I discontinued his perscription. For his health, Ha!, for their health they meant. He was a handful back then.
That pretty much covers it. Teachers send fidgeting students to the counselor who sends them to a psych who gives them amphetamines...

It's like Brave New World, only the pills aren't called Soma.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I don't think you can blame the teachers, parents yes, dr's yes, teacher, nah. They just have 30-40 little snot nosed kids to deal with. I've never heard of a teacher recomending a drug for a kid. May be counsiling, but most kids need counciling.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
I don't think you can blame the teachers, parents yes, dr's yes, teacher, nah. They just have 30-40 little snot nosed kids to deal with. I've never heard of a teacher recomending a drug for a kid. May be counsiling, but most kids need counciling.
Maybe not recommend, but some teachers, or school staff, do encourage miss, and over use, and in no way, is that acceptable. Especially something like Ritalin. Parents can't over see what the schools are doing while they are at work, and their kids are at school. They have to have faith in the school system. If anyone is responsible for miss use, they should be held accountable.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

The school recommended Jim get Ritalin, the doctor prescribed it after running tests. A good test for parents is to give the kid a cup of coffee, no sugar. If the kid calms down then he/she likely has ADD or ADHD. It is real. However, I think the best treatment it so let them burn off energy, not dope them up. Middle school in Texas regiments the students, and also includes a healthy dose of hypocrisy. For example, you can sit with who you want, as long as you take the first empty seat during lunch. They want the kids to sit quietly all day, except for PE. The school I remember was nothing like this, and it actually taught subjects very well. Recent research suggests free play using imagination is as important as school work.

The news about bad side effects came out long after I had Jim taken off the medication. BTW, Ritalin is a derivative of cocaine.

So yes, the schools are pushing getting kids on Ritalin. It makes for quiet complaint kids. They like it that way, whether it is in the best interest of the kids or not. This is what happens when you put bureaucrats in charge.