Drugs question?

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
My younger sister was diagnose epileptic at the age of 5 and had active siezures until the age of 27 when she had an operation. Evidently, epilepsy (in her case) involves the individuals sight center. They opened up her cranium, stimulated her vision, then destroyed some cells with laser. She has not had a seisure since then, but does have mild bouts of disconnect. Watched a show on epilepsy one time where they said the condition can exsist wherein the symptons range from mild reaction (loss of attention), to severe (grand mall), and that it may be much more common than most believe.

On the general topic of drugs though, I was servicing a client from Texas a few years ago and she was complaing about the Canadian health care. After a short discussion she said 'look, you don't understand, in the US, if one has a scratch, itch, or cough, you take drugs'. I couldn't comment further.

In the bigger picture however, it's an individual's choice, regardless if it's percieved through the media, prescribed by a physician or self prescribed. What I have trouble with is the use of our front line antibiotics in the livestock industry. Basically the big melting pot of genetics, waiting to see what hops out.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Tuberculosis, unheard of for many years, is making a comeback. Some of it antibiotic resistant no less. We are doing this to ourselves.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
In Canada, we have two major wild Bison herds. One in Northern Alberta, and on in Northern British Columbia. The Alberta herd has been infected with Tuberculosis from relocated animals since late 1920's.

Bubonic plague is a desease that still ravages prairie dog communities, and is one of the causes of the near extinction of the black footed ferret (lack of prairie dogs for food)

Throughout North Amercia is the recent surgance of CWD, the cervid form of BSE, being the cattle form of Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease. CWD is thought to have originated in a Colorado research center, then jumped onto the backs of the farmed game animals, which have been distributed nation wide. Last year in Alberta, a campiagn was launced to reduce the transmission of the disease, where over 2,000 deer were shot and burried.

Last edited:

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Antibiotics have been so overused that there are many strains of resistant bacteria. Hospitals are affected every year, and only major cases make it to the news. It is interesting that when I came to N. America the first observation was about the overuse of medication for everything - from mild cold to virtually non-existing conditions, and recent obsession with sanitizing things. If everything is sterile, how does our immune system learn to cope with foreign invaders? Does not make much sense.

GetDeviceInfo, I am glad your sister's problems were solved with surgery. It is quite impressive what can be accomplished now. It is an interesting disorder, still not well understood. I struggle with school because of certain cognitive side-effects from my meds, but it's the lesser of two evils. Probably should have picked an easier subject. Canadian health care is pretty good, they are paying for my newer med even though it is still not approved for government insurance.

p.s. I will remember not to mention the R word again, it was not meant to be serious.

Last edited:

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Tuberculosis, unheard of for many years, is making a comeback. Some of it antibiotic resistant no less. We are doing this to ourselves.
Well, there have been several cases of mumps, a few cases of polio, and other diseases we "wiped out" through vaccination. Parents aren't getting their kids vaccinations, and when people arrive in the US from all over the world, they have no immunity.

I would hate to be crippled because my parents thought vaccinations would have maybe caused ADD (not proven, nor are any other anti-vaccination claims for the ones that have been around for 30 years).

Well, since I brought up ADD.. Pharma are making lots of cash by slightly changing Dexedrine, the "pep pills" from WW II, into different analogies and patenting each one, as they have different side effects. The amphetamines stimulate the mind like a game, making things more interesting. That's how a kid explained it to me.

I strongly believe that ADD is a conditioned behavior. Video games and TV have intense periods of concentration, then a short break, followed by intense concentration. Real life can't compete, so the kids get put on drugs so they don't disrupt classes.

I will believe in ADD when I see a kid unable to play a video game for over 10 minutes without losing interest. I'm pretty sure I have a safe bet there. I agree decreased attention span exists, but that is a behavioral/responsibility/discipline issue rather than a medical issue.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
U guys take so much medicines don't ya...I wonder why ?

I never got to take no medicine what so ever. There is panadol for me for headaches.
And After shave for cut's, bruises and burns and the likes.

That's it.

TheFox

Joined Apr 29, 2009
Well, there have been several cases of mumps, a few cases of polio, and other diseases we "wiped out" through vaccination. Parents aren't getting their kids vaccinations, and when people arrive in the US from all over the world, they have no immunity.

I would hate to be crippled because my parents thought vaccinations would have maybe caused ADD (not proven, nor are any other anti-vaccination claims for the ones that have been around for 30 years).

Well, since I brought up ADD.. Pharma are making lots of cash by slightly changing Dexedrine, the "pep pills" from WW II, into different analogies and patenting each one, as they have different side effects. The amphetamines stimulate the mind like a game, making things more interesting. That's how a kid explained it to me.

I strongly believe that ADD is a conditioned behavior. Video games and TV have intense periods of concentration, then a short break, followed by intense concentration. Real life can't compete, so the kids get put on drugs so they don't disrupt classes.

I will believe in ADD when I see a kid unable to play a video game for over 10 minutes without losing interest. I'm pretty sure I have a safe bet there. I agree decreased attention span exists, but that is a behavioral/responsibility/discipline issue rather than a medical issue.
A good way to tell if a kid has ADD, and it's not just bad parenting, is give them a cup of coffee, it'll help them focus. Worked on me. Don't even get me started on the drugs they give for ADD. Totally abused.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Yeah, schools. A typical middle school has completely eliminated recess, and I've heard talk they would like to do the same for elementary. This is what happens when you put bureaucrats in charge of children.

You have to let kids burn off energy, then they are ready to learn.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I talked to my doctor about vaccinations and flu shots. She told me with the exception of tetnis I should not get vaccinated. She said the pharma market is pushing flu shots and unnecessary vac's on everyone for sales. She said that means we won't get sick for 5-10 years but the more people that get vaccinated the stonger the flu becomes. So after thos 5-10 years were gonna be facing super flu's. She said flu shots and most vaccines are for children and people over 60. No one 18-50 has any business getting a flu shot.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I don't buy any of that. According to her logic, polio and small pox should also be super bugs. One is extinct, the other was almost so until people stopped using vaccines, mostly for religious and the belief the west was trying to sterilize them. Now polio is coming back. The vaccine still works well on it.

The idea of a super flu due to vaccines is extremely bogus, and shows a major lack of understanding how vaccines work. The flu has the ability to mutate frequently, which is why they have to reformulate the vaccine ever year. It did this before vaccines were invented. Bird flu is especially dangerous due to the fact that it is outside our species, and if it crosses over our immune system is not prepared to handle it because it is unfamiliar.

Vaccines are not antibiotics, unlike antibiotics they stimulate the bodies own natural defenses so it can recognize an invader when it sees it a second time. Our immune systems are as evolved as the viruses they combat, vaccines are an educational system for our immune system. None of this applies for antibiotics.

The major problem with antibiotics is people insisting, and some idiots who happen to be doctors allowing, on taking antibiotics when it is not appropriate. It also doesn't help they are being given to livestock like cattle to enhance growth, not to treat disease. Antibiotics are toxins specifically to bacteria (not viruses), and by exposing bacteria to antibiotics unnecessarily you allow the bacteria to develop ways around the toxicity.

A little reading goes a long way.

Last edited:

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
I talked to my doctor about vaccinations and flu shots. She told me with the exception of tetnis I should not get vaccinated. She said the pharma market is pushing flu shots and unnecessary vac's on everyone for sales. She said that means we won't get sick for 5-10 years but the more people that get vaccinated the stonger the flu becomes. So after thos 5-10 years were gonna be facing super flu's. She said flu shots and most vaccines are for children and people over 60. No one 18-50 has any business getting a flu shot.
There are many people in the 18-50 age group for whom it is strongly advisable to get influenza vaccination every year. These include people with long-term lung complaints such as severe asthma or COAD.

This is also true for those with other chronic conditions such as diabetes, some heart diseases and illnesses that reduce immunity. Apart from the obvious HIV/AIDS, there are other conditions such as cancers and blood diseases that can do this. Medical treatments can also leave us more vulnerable, such as radiation or drugs used to treat cancer, or drugs used to suppress the rejection of transplanted organs.

Last edited:

DumboFixer

Joined Feb 10, 2009
I fit in to the 18-50 age bracket and as I suffer from heart failure, diabetes, asthma and am prone to develop pneumonia my GP made the appointment for me to have my flu jab. She said not having the jab was not an option.

I have to say that since I've started having the flu jabs I've had no more than a bad cold and that can't all be down to changing my exercise regime (like having one)

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
There are many people in the 18-50 age group for whom it is strongly advisable to get influenza vaccination every year. These include people with long-term lung complaints such as severe asthma or COAD.

This is also true for those with other chronic conditions such as diabetes, some heart diseases and illnesses that reduce immunity. Apart from the obvious HIV/AIDS, there are other conditions such as cancers and blood diseases that can do this. Medical treatments can also leave us more vulnerable, such as radiation or drugs used to treat cancer, or drugs used to suppress the rejection of transplanted organs.
That is true. For people with respiratory problems the greatest danger is a secondary bacterial infection during a viral infection as their immune system is fighting the virus and respiratory system already compromised. Perfect time for virus and bacteria to wor together. What is interesting is that with especially powerful strands (eg. Spanish flu) it is the young and healthy who are the most vulnerable as immune system response becomes overwhelming.

People should definitely get vaccines for the proven things - measles, mumps, etc... The flu shot I think is just a money maker, the companies cannot keep up with the virus, the shot you are getting is not for what is coming, so you are likely to already have been exposed to that strand anyway. There is also a danger of getting sick from the shot itself. Last year I had to get 5 sets of vaccinations (most repeats) because I am not from Canada, caught a mild cold and couldn't get out of it for a month. But think about mumps, if you get it as an adult, you reproductive system could be compromised... how fun is that? I had mumps as a kid, as a disease actually not too bad...

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Of coarse stuff like polio and other vaccines are neccesary I'm not talking about those. Also high risk patients of any age should have them too. But as far as your normal flu shot you should not. Most doctors not on the take will tell you this.

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A good way to tell if a kid has ADD, and it's not just bad parenting, is give them a cup of coffee, it'll help them focus. Worked on me. Don't even get me started on the drugs they give for ADD. Totally abused.
not always true. I was the epitome of the "ADD kid" and now the epitome of the "Adult ADD guy". Coffee just makes me irritable, doesn't help me focus. I'm not on any meds. I was for a while in high school but didn't like them. I don't buy into the "disability" aspect of it. If its a disability, then I would rather take "one legged athlete" stance, than the "make it go away with medication" stance. But I think its just a personality thing.