Drug war too far? Or idiot LEO's?

Playing devil's advocate for a moment, it not entirely impossible that a younger relative of the old couple could have set up something illegal up in a tree, without the knowledge of consent of the elderly home owners.

Even though that was obviously not the case in this instance, the tubes going up a tree may just have looked odd to an officer in a passing squad car, who may not have been familiar with that technique of harvesting maple syrup.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
I would think that couple has good grounnds for a lawsuit. Even if it was a cannabis leaf, that is not suffcient evidence for a stop.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Responding to catfish:
1) It is entirely impossible because the LEO's determined that there was nothing going on except maple syrup.

2) The point of all this ridicule of the police is that the local police, the local police in a place where it is possible to make maple syrup, had no idea what a tube in a maple tree meant.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I would think that couple has good grounnds for a lawsuit. Even if it was a cannabis leaf, that is not suffcient evidence for a stop.
Yes but every cop know they just say they smelled marijuana and they are free to search your car. Since theirs no proof that can be had about a smell. Its a workaround to the illegal searches. Thats why when you get pulled over right before they let you go they say they smell pot. I usually tell them then quit smoking it.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yeah. Then you hear the line I have heard so many times: "Don't get smart with me, boy!"
Did you know what you are doing is a felony, officer?
Don't get smart with me, boy.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
Here's the link to the story.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ver-after-cops-mistake-ohio-state-sticker-for

Caption below picture reads (sic) ....Armed police wearing body armor... Did you ever see an unarmed police officer pull anyone over? And here in TN bullet proof vests are standard issue.
I guess if the caption read" Police, in uniform, pull over.....
Nobody would read it, so lets add a little bit of sensationalism.

Note: I am in no way defending what the cops did, but if you're going to be in the news business you have to maintain your credibility.
The media hypes stories up so much that I don't believe half of them, at least until I can do a little research ..

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
This must be a distortion of a quote from a movie, but I missed the movie.

One of the best movies ever made imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

I felt the quote was appropriate considering the guilty to till proven innocent attitude the officers displayed.

IDK what it's like in your town,here all the police force is made up of three types of people.

Returning Vets,Ex-H.S.Jocks,Ex-bullied H.S.Oddballs...

None of which are particularity interested in the constitutionality or morality of their actions.

The job is a paycheck,notch of their belt or revenge..nothing more.

THE_RB

Joined Feb 11, 2008
The police really do have a thankless job. And it is the bad apples that get noticed.
Yeah it is unfortunate for those good cops that actually do a good job and that we need to be there, doing that good job.

But that sad fact is that the work sucks, the pay sucks, the hours suck, everybody hates them, and one of the few payoffs is that they get to push people around.

Given those facts, it's pretty obvious that psychologically defective people (psychopaths, borderline personality types etc), people who give a high priority to being able to push others around, would gravitate towards that type of job.

ie; what Luvv said.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Here's the link to the story.
http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...ver-after-cops-mistake-ohio-state-sticker-for

Caption below picture reads (sic) ....Armed police wearing body armor... Did you ever see an unarmed police officer pull anyone over? And here in TN bullet proof vests are standard issue.
I guess if the caption read" Police, in uniform, pull over.....
Nobody would read it, so lets add a little bit of sensationalism.
When I first got to Memphis TN I was shock to the point my jaw was on the ground when I saw the cop cars. They all drive brand new dodge chargers, "WITH RIMS!" I just started laughing out loud at the gas station. I even turned to the local next to me and said This city has the worst violent crime rate in the US and your cops can afford low profile 18's on their cop cars? He just laughed and said welcome to Memphis!

And TN cops are no joke! They set up on I-40 right outside memphis and have a fleet of suburbans both black and white with full mechanic shops in them. Every morning and night coming and going from work I'd see the suburbans with a poor guy pulled over. They'd have an engine lift, mini car lift, etc.. They would litterally tear these cars apart. Following bands I've had my run ins with cop searchs and CBP searchs. Never gone further then a dowl in the AC vents, check air filter, and mirrors under car, and tear up the floor board. Then they release you. TN is the only place I've seen them totally take apart a car on the side of an Interstate.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
When I first got to Memphis TN I was shock to the point my jaw was on the ground when I saw the cop cars. They all drive brand new dodge chargers, "WITH RIMS!" I just started laughing out loud at the gas station. I even turned to the local next to me and said This city has the worst violent crime rate in the US and your cops can afford low profile 18's on their cop cars? He just laughed and said welcome to Memphis!
Well, I'm about 300 miles east of there. We're a little more 'country', we have Jeeps, Explorers,Pick ups and 2 new Ford all wheel drive Taurus, at least I think there Taurus's (sp?).Low profile tires aren't gonna cut it on our roads, ride like a hay wagon.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
One day I was waiting for a bus. There was a woman nearby that had obvious mental disability. She was lost. The cops were there to try and help her. While his partner tried to figure out just who this woman was and where she lived using some id she had, his young male partner spoke to this woman to make her feel at ease. He just asked her about her shopping and what she bought etc. He was so kind to her, it was very touching to see. To this day I was sorry I did not ask him for his badge number so that I could write his boss with how impressed I was on his professionalism.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well, I'm about 300 miles east of there. We're a little more 'country', we have Jeeps, Explorers,Pick ups and 2 new Ford all wheel drive Taurus, at least I think there Taurus's (sp?).Low profile tires aren't gonna cut it on our roads, ride like a hay wagon.
You mean a Taurus SHO? Its stands for Super High Output. Its fords version of the Civic Type R(EU) or Si(US).

Metalmann

Joined Dec 8, 2012
One of the best movies ever made imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S06nIz4scvI

I felt the quote was appropriate considering the guilty to till proven innocent attitude the officers displayed.

IDK what it's like in your town,here all the police force is made up of three types of people.

Returning Vets,Ex-H.S.Jocks,Ex-bullied H.S.Oddballs...

None of which are particularity interested in the constitutionality or morality of their actions.

The job is a paycheck,notch of their belt or revenge..nothing more.

Definitely one of the greatest movies. "Ain't war hell"?:cool:

You are also right about they types, who seek out/apply for those jobs.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
I'll have to pay attention next time I see one of them.
Their maxed out with v6 ecoline 3.5L 365hp motors. In comparison a normal Taurus has 240hp-280hp. 4200lb curb weight though. Also $40,000 sticker price $45,000 fully loaded. Somes with 6 speed auto and/or paddle shifters.

The Civic Si or Type R on the other hand has a 2.4L 204hp Vtec DOHC at 2700lb curb weight.Si and Type R only come in 6 speed manual. Base Civic Si/Type R is $21k, Fully loaded $25k sticker prices. In comparison a normal civic has 1.8L or 2.0L 142hp

In a race I think the Civic Si takes the Taurus SHO. The SHO should have it on the high end, but the civic should turn better and accelerate quicker.