Droto (reversible lift / drop motor , failed hand-held controllers )

Droto

Joined Sep 23, 2013
Hi All
I have a 110 reversible lift / drop motor that the hand-held controllers switch has failed. Of all the Web stuff I've seen, none lists the exact wiring that I have coming from the motor.
The Manf. is Northern Tool ( I know...cheep and but they are of no help...Pft) It's a 110, single phase that used to work until the switch failed.

The wiring into the hand control is a combination of 4 wires, Black-White (contains the power feeds and a confirmed 123v on a Multimeter) a Green and a Brown wire, so, a 4-wire connection....but...(There's always a ..but...lol) The brown wire has two OTHER jumpers to connections. They are pig-tailed from the main brown wire to make two more connections.
NO wiring diagrams I've seen tells me how to connect an On-off-On switch.
Do I need a special rocker switch, and how do I Wire it?
Obviously, I'm stupid about this stuff...but I haven't fried myself...yet...Ha

Any Help ? ( TIA )

Joined Nov 30, 2010
A four wire control box doesn't seem all that difficult to draw by hand. Perhaps a photo?

Seriously, many of us look into machines with 20 or 30 wires and figure it out, on the spot.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Many of these chinese hoists are the same. It may not be your switch that's bad, but the start capacitor. Is there a capacitor in the bottom part of the handle? A round thing with two wires coming out of it, not trying to be condescending, you said you didn't know much about electrical stuff. Before changing the switch, I'd try replacing the capacitor.

Droto

Joined Sep 23, 2013
Hi All
I have a 110 reversible lift / drop motor that the hand-held controllers switch has failed. Of all the Web stuff I've seen, none lists the exact wiring that I have coming from the motor.
The Manf. is Northern Tool ( I know...cheep and but they are of no help...Pft) It's a 110, single phase that used to work until the switch failed.

The wiring into the hand control is a combination of 4 wires, Black-White (contains the power feeds and a confirmed 123v on a Multimeter) a Green and a Brown wire, so, a 4-wire connection....but...(There's always a ..but...lol) The brown wire has two OTHER jumpers to connections. They are pig-tailed from the main brown wire to make two more connections.
NO wiring diagrams I've seen tells me how to connect an On-off-On switch.
Do I need a special rocker switch, and how do I Wire it?
Obviously, I'm stupid about this stuff...but I haven't fried myself...yet...Ha

Any Help ? ( TIA )
As I said before, the brown wire has 2 additional plugs that are pig-tailed into the main wire, this would match the switch that is also a 6-post on-off-on. I'm confused about how it gets wired. I checked continuity with a meter. On (we'll say the left bank), a meter connected to the center pin will read Cont. on both top and bottom posts of the same bank as the switch is toggled. This NOT true for the other set of posts, only one shows Cont..
With a meter connected to the metal shell of the lift for a ground and the lift plugged into a 115v power supply, 5 of the 6 connectors show 120v with the white wire showing no voltage.
There are 2 caps in the unit, I assume for each direction.
I hope the attachment shows it better.
0924131440.jpg

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Try again. That's like showing me a picture of a shirt and saying it's your girlfriend.

The guts sir, the guts.

Droto

Joined Sep 23, 2013
Try again. That's like showing me a picture of a shirt and saying it's your girlfriend.

The guts sir, the guts.
What do you not understand from the picture...6 leads that match the 6 posts of the switch. I got the unit with ALL of the wires disconnected from the switch. The Pic was to clarify my wiring description.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
So... the 6 leads of that cable attach to the 6 pins of the switch and there are no other parts connected?

Sorry. My bad.

Droto

Joined Sep 23, 2013
So... the 6 leads of that cable attach to the 6 pins of the switch and there are no other parts connected?

Sorry. My bad.
The controller cable runs back to the motor. The motors' control box contains the 2 Caps, there is nothing else in the remote control.
BTW...Thanks for the replies

Droto

Joined Sep 23, 2013
BTW...I played with the wiring a bit and the motor works in one direction....Played some more but it didn't seem to like that.