Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by R!f@@, Jul 7, 2012.

1. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    U know I had doubt about these drones when you guys announced it. That is it even possible to do it.
    Today I read tht US drones attacked pakistan militants and 12 of them or so have gone to their heaven.

Damn man ! now I completely realize why electronics clashes with the Navy.
    Those UAV's are something. I wonder how fast the data relay is u know. To fly those things u have to be one hell of a guy. I bet they relay real time data on to the control room eh!..

That's why US spends so much on military. And Military grade components must be expensive. I wonder how much military grade components costs ?

I love to join the navy, but I guess it's a bit too late for me eh!...Always had dreamed of flying those f-15 ...I wish I could get a ride before I die..!
  2. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    It really is amazing to think that the "pilot" who launches that Hellfire missile from a drone circling over Pakistan is actually seated at a desk in the US, and will be home in time for dinner with his family, after delivering that ordnance several time zones away so that another virgin seeker can achieve his lifetime's ambition.

Combat pilots aboard aircraft may well become a rarity in our lifetimes, since the costs and risks of remotely piloted sorties are so much lower than the outmoded alternative of placing highly trained aviators in harm's way.
  3. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    A relatively inexpensive satellite decoder with the equivalent of Vivo can stream HD video while recording several other channels. Why would you think that a UAV had any less capability?

Such things do require a long time to develop though.

As far as mil-spec parts, you can price out SN74HC parts vs SN54HC parts; for example an '04 commercial part can be had for $0.11, while a mil temp range SN54HC04 is $1.85, and a JM38510/65701BCA is $10.00 - and those are mass produced components that have been available for years. The new stuff is considerably more expensive.

Commercial electronics benefit in a huge way from lessons learned on military programs.

I always wanted a ride in an F-4J or F-4S Phantom II; I worked on their radar/missile systems every day for years, and the closest I ever got was a ride to the high-power turnup ramp. I awoke many times dreaming of flying one of those birds.

The Joint Strike Fighter (F-35 and variants) will probably be the last manned fighter built by the USA.
    R!f@@ likes this.
  4. R!f@@

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 2, 2009
    Hey Sgt. How are u doing with u know who ?
    Good to see u by the way.

So, tell me how can we hitch a ride on tht F-4J's. Will it cost me much ?
  5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Whats amazing is the hobbiest drones some guys have made. Its actually pretty simple. You can buy the pcb's ready to populate or just plug in gps.
  6. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    They say it take a large base to operate the Drones, people think small

they are much bigger than they look and takes alot space. You can Imagine

the landings and take offs. They say there are alot more are taking off and landing

at the same time.
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  7. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I wonder how easy/hard it is to not take that job home with you. When I was aboard the submarine I never had to launch missiles at anybody but there was always the possibility. It was something I though about often, and I always wondered how it would effect me to know that I killed people. I wouldn't see the carnage but I would be the one who pushed the button. Strangely, I came to the conclusion that I don't think it would effect me much. I wonder if these guys playing the drone game feel the same way, or if they go home to their wife & kids thinking about the explosions they initiated through a computer screen. They probably actually see the people scurrying around before it happens, and maybe even see the carnage; I don't know. I think it would be harder to handle. Still not as bad as sinking a bayonette into someone's chest and watching their soul escape from their eyes. Thank God I never had to do that; I can't imagine what that must do to a person.
  8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    my cousin flies those drones.. He tried to be a fighter pilot but then found out he gets really bad flying/motion sickness in those things.. So they put him on flying the drones..