Driving Z566M nixies with a kit designed for IN-14

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by LoneGinger, Jul 10, 2016.

1. LoneGinger

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    So I am new to electronics. I am really more of an artist than even a low level hobbiest in the electronics world and have a very limited understanding of circuits and in particular resistor calculations but I really love to incorporate electronics into my work when ever possible. I am basically just a guy that can use a meter and assemble a kit, and that is about it.

Here is the issue I am facing...

I would like to drive Z566M tubes with a kit designed to drive IN-14. This is for a thermometer not a clock or I would just get a proper kit for these tubes. The IN-14 tubes draw 2.5 mA while the Z566M draws 4.5mA and both tubes require 170v striking and 140-145 maintaining voltages. I have yet to test the current set up of the thermometer with the Z566M tubes, was more curious as to what some of you with a stronger understanding of current and resistors may think about what I am trying to do. Should I swap out the anode resistors? If so, what resistor should I use in place of the current ones to achieve the desired results?

Thank you in advance to anyone who cares to comment and especially anyone who can help me.
  2. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I have been thinking of building something with nixies. In your situation I would be asking the question on some of the nixi dedicated forums. As you have noted, this area uses high voltage, I would have wanted more specific knowledge base instead of general.

Nov 30, 2010
    This can not be answered without knowing more about the circuit. You can start with the original resistors because the only defect that might cause is the display being too dim. When you reduce the resistance, you must check to see if the power supply will provide the extra (x times) 2 ma for x number of segments being on at the same time.

If I assume you have 200 volts to start with, a 2.5 ma resistor would be about 22K, 0.15 watts (use a 1/2 watt resistor).
    A 4.5 ma resistor would be about 12K, 0.276 watts (use a 1 watt resistor).

Be aware of the assuming going on here!
    You give proper data, I do proper math.:cool:
  4. LoneGinger

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 10, 2016
    Thank you for the input. I believe I have found my answer. I contacted someone who, like you said #12, has better knowledge of the circuit in question.