Driving two MOSFETs with one driver chip

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by homeinsandiego, May 28, 2014.

1. homeinsandiego

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2014
    I have a TI motor controller that uses the DRV8301 3-phase Pre-Driver motor chip to control three H-bridges. I want to use the one DRV8301 to control two sets of motors. The DRV8301 has six outputs, GH_A, GL_A, GH_B, GL_B , GH_C and GL_C where each H-Bridge (two MOSFETs in series) use a high and low signal. The three phases of the motor are A, B and C. See attachment.
    So I took the working motor controller and soldered wires on the traces that go from the driver to a 1 ohm resistor that connects to the MOSFET gate.
    Turned on the motor controller and a fault on the GUI occurs. I calculated the drive current required and it is below the max. I have a feeling that there a timing issue due to different capacitance of the MOSFETs.

Any suggestions welcome.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    It may not like what it sees from the 2 motors. Try it with one.

3. homeinsandiego

Thread Starter New Member

May 28, 2014
    I have separate H-bridge circuits controlling each motor. What is common is one driver leg to the gate of two MOSFETs.

4. BobTPH

Jun 5, 2013
    This is a stab in the dark, but how long are the wires between the two H-bridges? It might the extra inductance of these wires that is causing a problem.

Bob

5. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Are they BLDC motors or just AC motors?
    The driver has over current detect. What is done with it?