Driving Point Impedance Poles

ybrik

Joined May 5, 2014
I understand how Laplace works from differential equations. But I am not very good at applying it to circuit analysis.

anhnha

Joined Apr 19, 2012
So by the structure of the capacitance Z(s), I would choose B. Is my logic correct in that?
No, your answer is not correct. Please post your Z(s) and your calculation.
Here is the circuit represented in Laplace domain.

Attachments

Last edited:

Adam Bachert

Joined Apr 29, 2019
My apologies for resurrecting such an old thread but Ive been working on this exact same problem in an FE practice exam. I can find the answer in the back of the book easy enough, but what I'm curious about is what the poles actually represent? I've attached the calculation and the answer puts poles at s=0; s= -1/(R2C2) but what does that actually mean? How do I take the equation I've come up with and use it to find those pole locations? Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Attachments

Adam Bachert

Joined Apr 29, 2019
So I've "cheated" to try and understand what is going on with this problem and maybe answered my own question. When I plug those correct answer values in, the functions get a 0 in the denominator so it essentially goes to infinity. So really what the question is asking is, what values of (s) will make this function go to infinity. Somehow I missed that that is was is meant by "find the poles".

Attachments