Driving an SCR directly from a 555 a good idea?

Ritalie

Joined Sep 5, 2016
I'm making a magnetic pulse coil, and it will be discharging 350 volts into a 2.5 mH coil made from 16 gauge wire, from a 270uF capacitor. I have searched but cannot find any information about SCR feedback. Can the SCR ruin a 555 timer? Should I use a transistor or mosfet to drive the SCR?

The SCR is rated for 800 volts, 800 amps surge. Just to be safe, I'm planning on using an IRF840 mosfet to drive the SCR.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
I'm making a magnetic pulse coil, and it will be discharging 350 volts into a 2.5 mH coil made from 16 gauge wire, from a 270uF capacitor. I have searched but cannot find any information about SCR feedback. Can the SCR ruin a 555 timer? Should I use a transistor or mosfet to drive the SCR?

The SCR is rated for 800 volts, 800 amps surge. Just to be safe, I'm planning on using an IRF840 mosfet to drive the SCR.
Might be possible to get a triac or SCR output optocoupler capable of driving the gate on your SCR.

Then all you're driving with the 555 is the IRLED in the optocoupler - and it gives you complete isolation.

BTW: if it a rail gun - that contravenes the forum terms & conditions.

Ritalie

Joined Sep 5, 2016
Hello, I'm not making a magnetic rail gun. I am making a coil of wire that is driven by a capacitor discharge, pulsed from an SCR at regular intervals. This is a Bob Beck circuit. So my question was, is it normal to drive an SCR using a 555 timer? The Optocoupler sounds like a neat idea. I'll look into that!

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Subject to review, if SCR cathode is at same ground as 555 I see no reason not to use direct drive. I would use a 27 ohm R between pin 3 & gate. Cap. neg. will be at ground for easy charging.
If isolation is necessary, use 1:1 pulse transformer.