Driver ic

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by onceinalifetim, Oct 10, 2014.

1. onceinalifetim

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I'm suppose to choose a driver ic for my IGBT.
    i would like to know what is the different between high side vs low side?? i need high voltage to power up my IGBT...

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    A low-side device connects one side of the load to ground (GND)
    a high-side device connects one side of the load to a positive supply voltage.

Notice that in the case of a negative supply these definitions would be reversed

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I think you have that reversed, if by "device" you mean the switch (e.g., a mosfet or IGBT).
    Edit: Papabravo's description is correct. I mis-read it.

This is a high- side switch. The load connects to ground. Source: International Rectifier, AN-978

upload_2014-10-10_12-56-51.png

A low-side switch has the load connected to the high-voltage rail. The switch is between the load and ground.

John

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    Reread what I said carefully. I agree that the MOSFET in the picture is a high-side switch. It connects one side of the load to the positive rail when it is turned on. The other side of the load is connected to ground (GND)

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Thank you. I absolutely mis-read it. My original reading was something to the effect of "one side of the load is connected..." not the device connects... Sorry.

John