Drive several NMOS as switches

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dkester13, Feb 17, 2016.

1. dkester13

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 14, 2013
    Hi,

This is my first post!

I am working on a project where a need to use MOSFET's as switches.
    Driving a sigle MOSFET on should not be a really big problem. The problem arrises when a want to connect several MOSFET's in series like in the picture.
    I want to use the MOSFET as switches. But the current that goes through the "switch" should by isolated from the ground of the control signals from the switch.

I know one has to take special care with the Vds and Vgs. But without a good reference, I dont know how to begin.

Could someone explain to the things I should take into account? This schematic is just to test the concept, at the end, I need to have around 100 MOSFET's connected as in the diagram!

PS. I know this diagram has no meaning, as the there should be always a short circuit. But I made this to make sure I know when the MOSFET is on.

Thanks for you help in advance!

2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    If the two grounds are connected together, then U1, U4 are connected back to back.

3. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    100 shorting switches in series ... electric vehicle battery stack?

4. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    How rapidly do you need to switch them on and off?

5. dkester13

Aug 14, 2013
    You are close, I think. I would like to design a balancing circuit. Maybe the attached picture gives you a better idea.

6. dkester13

Aug 14, 2013
    up to 400kHz maybe. After I fully understand the circuit, I will find an optimal switching frequency. I hope it will be around 100kHz

7. dkester13

Aug 14, 2013
    UPDATE: in the picture, i forgot the diodes. The group should not be the reference for the current source. I hope I made this clear. if not, let me know!

8. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Switched capacitor or inductor balancer?

9. dkester13

Aug 14, 2013
    It is based on the switched capacitor. Do you have any ideas how I could solve my problem?

10. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Take a look at this one. It is for 12 volt batteries. I have a clock circuit for it somewhere.

• bal.png
      bal.png
      File size:
      150.7 KB
      Views: