Drive a load from cmos chip

rpkamins

Joined Jul 13, 2011
Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if I posted something incorrectly. Just let me know. My question is this: I'm looking for a way to drive a small load from the outputs on a cmos serial to parallel chip. I'm trying to make a controller for a project I'm working on and I need to be able to drive somewhere between 500 and 600mA using a 16 bit serial to parallel converter. The idea is to feed in 16 serial bits and turn on any of the 16 outputs. Any advice? Thanks.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Use transistors to amplify the current. Bipolar, mosfet, depends on what you have and what you need.

Posting a datasheet for the chip and a drawing of the circuit helps a lot. To do that, you use the "go advanced" button and "manage attachments" to upload material.

seecumulus

Joined Jul 13, 2011
Most CMOS 4000 Series Components only have the Fan Out of 2 TTL Loads.
CMOS driving 500 ma - I believe is not capable in the normal 4000 series.

CMOS driving 25 ma is normally considered a high load driver for CMOS.

One component that may increase your CMOS Drive is the MIC 4223, 4224, 4225 components.

rpkamins

Joined Jul 13, 2011
It appears that the mic series is exactly what I was looking for. I can drive up to 3 or 4 amps with the 4225 chip. Thank you very much for the prompt replies and I will give it a try.