Drip Rate Counter

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by OSOO, Mar 5, 2014.

1. OSOO

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2014
    I am trying to design a circuit that counts the drops of the intravenous infusion pump using ir led , what is better to use in the receiver a phototransistor or photodiode ?? and why ?

2. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    What is the nature of the pump, does it operate on pulses?
    Or is it a peristaltic type pump?
    Max.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A phototransistor is generally better for low speed signals since it has a much higher gain than a photodiode although its frequency response is lower.

OSOO likes this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    If it drips, you can count them.

OSOO likes this.
  5. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    If the drip tube is IR transparent, IR emitter VSMB2020X01, sm, gull wing would be a good match to transistor, also sm gullwing, VEMT2020X01, both by Vishay. I bought mine from Digi-key. Receiver body filters out daylight, operates around 940 nm.

OSOO likes this.
  6. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    I'm pretty sure that the sensor clip they place on your finger to watch your pulse (and oximetry?) could easily sense IV drips. Just clip it on the IV tube and plug into your counter. The benefit of using a sensor that's already in the field appeals to me.

OSOO likes this.
  7. OSOO

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2014
    Hi,

I want to design a circuit that especially made to sense the drops of fluids in the medical infusion pump ,this is done by using of an ir led as a transmitter and phototransistor as a reciever , and whenever the drops pass between them , the light is interrupted ,then the voltage variations goes to microcontroller in order to calculate the drip rate of the infusion pump.

This my circuit:

[​IMG]

What do you think? would it satisfy my purpose? ,do I need to add or remove any component ?

I want to simulate it using isis proteus program but I couldn't find the phototransistor in the components library ,why !!? is there a way to simulate this circuit and how it's affected when drops falls down ?

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

I merged the thread, as one thread per subject is enough.

Bertus

9. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    If the drips are in an expanded drip tube, aiming the beam could be tricky.

I'm sort of thinking suggesting a reflective opto on the side of the plastic tube maybe.

10. OSOO

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2014

I see,
    thanks

11. OSOO

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2014
    iv infusion pump

a peristaltic pump based infusion pump operates via a stepper motor

12. OSOO

Thread Starter Member

Feb 19, 2014

Yes true , the same principle !

13. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    If drip allignment is too critical, multiple IR receivers can be used. I stacked 5 surface mounts to give a 5 mm trap zone. Outputs fed into 8 in NOR IC. Tx- Rx spacing was 20 in.

OSOO likes this.
  14. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    As I remember, the IV drip sensors that we had contained 3 IR LEDs and 3 photo transistors. The LEDs were arranged in an arc of about 90° on one side of the chamber clamp. The photo-transistors were in a similar arc on the opposite side. There were thin, plastic, honeycomb, optical collimator sheets and IR filter film in front of the photo transistors. And collimators over the LEDs. The LEDs were electrically in series, and the photo-transistors had their collectors and emitters in parallel.

Ken

OSOO likes this.