Drawing schematics

munikarmanish

Joined Nov 24, 2014
I want to learn to draw the schematics like the ones in the ebooks. I want to know which software was used and if possible a link to its tutorial. I tried gschem but its drawings are not as good as the ones in the ebook.

I hope the circuits were drawn with a open source software! :)

munikarmanish

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Well I found in the pdfs of this ebook that the author has used XCircuit to draw the circuit diagrams. But I only know how to output an image of the circuit. If you look in the pdf files, you'll notice that you can even select the circuit component lables as text. Now that's something cool! Anybody know how to do that? Or do I have to know all the ins and outs of postscript language?

Anyway, thanks for the replies! :)

bance

Joined Aug 11, 2012
Why do you think that Gschem drawings are not as good? I use Gschem all the time, perhaps I could help?

Steve

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Anybody know how to do that?
There are many applications that can edit text within PDF documents but it's not very useful except for small alterations or filling in forms.

To edit the graphic - the schematic - you will be far better off with appropriate software. You might try the free LTspice. It's not so great for drawing but once your drawing is done, you have a simulation of your circuit. And you have a file that many other folks can use, since many people also use LTspice.

KMoffett

Joined Dec 19, 2007
I'm with ronv. ExpressPCB is free, pretty intuitive, easy to create new components if not in their library, and schematics can be sent directly to a printer or exported as .BMP files.

Ken

nikee

Joined Jan 17, 2014
if you want to draw just circuits there are tons of softwares, some are even online so you dont need to install anything and draw your circuit online (even simulate them) but if you want to go further deep in future I will highly recommend learning a PCB designing software like Eagle, designspark, kiCad etc. Choose anyone and stick to that. It will help you understand reading circuits, making them and finally if you wish to cook some PCB at home or get it done by PCB houses.
To my personal experience I have used eagle, designspark and diptrace and I will say that learning diptrace is easiest of them all. They have a tutorial just go through that and you are ready to go. The two layer PCB is free but above that you have to purchase the license but I don't think you will need to go above that in near future.
Best of luck learning new things.