Drawing circles - LED matrix

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Given a matrix of LEDs (vertical columns / horizontal rows) I plan to draw circles with extreme LEDs staying from 1 to 8 positions from the center (shown in gray).

I came with these 8 distributions and believe they are the best approach to a circle. For eventual reference, consider the start at the top, in the column containing the center position albeit the circle is "drawn" on/off at once. Any could coexist with one or more, always concentric.

Point in question is the number / relative position of the LEDs to the center. Distance between rows / columns is fixed so out of question.

Comments appreciated.

Circles 1 to 8 - standard matrix.png

SLK001

Joined Nov 29, 2011
That's as good as you're going to get, given a finite number of points (LEDs). The human eye should complete the circle (except for #1 and #2 maybe).

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
What is the limiting number of LED's? For just 8, I prefer #4 over #3. #5 is nice for 12, assuming you want a square in the center. #7 and #8 are also nice.

John

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
What is the limiting number of LED's? For just 8, I prefer #4 over #3. #5 is nice for 12, assuming you want a square in the center. #7 and #8 are also nice.

John
Hola John,

The numbers denote the radius, that is, number of positions. No lit LED in the center. Grey one shown just for reference. My intention is to be able to draw 8 circles of varying radius from 1 to 8.

I started yesterday with all this. Definitely a work in progress.

Gracias for replying.