DPDT switch suggestions??

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by woodsturning, Feb 24, 2010.

1. woodsturning

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    I would like to use a reverse-off-forward DPDT toggle style switch to control a 1 Hp DC Motor.
    The motor and controller I am using are both rated @ to 90VDC, 10A.

I cannot seem to find a switch rated to handle 90 VDC anywhere, (60VDC was the highest I've found).

If anyone has any idea where I may find such a switch I would greatly appreciate it.

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    120VAC if its on the load side, will handle it. So if you use a DC coil and AC load side relay, (properly rated for the current) it will work.

3. woodsturning

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Thanks for your reply.
    Since I am a noob just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, by load side you mean the motor right.
    Also I'm not overly familiar with relays, do I need a relay instead of a plain toggle switch, or can I just use a DPDT toggle rated @ 120VAC, 10A or greater?
    I was originally thinking I could do this but many of the switches listed for 120 VDC are spec'd much lower for DC.

4. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Here is a 90VDC relay rated for 13 amps. $1.75
    http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G9650

If you want to control this manually, use a toggle switch. If you need it controlled by an electronic source, use the relay.
    You may not want to SLAM this motor into reverse. You want to at least break the connection for a few milliseconds before reversing. How fast is the motor rotating?