DPDT relay at up to 1500VDC?

theeloquentmime

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Hi all,

I'm looking for a relay that will handle voltage up to 1500VDC at a very low current, and switching/controlling voltage has to be 5V. I've searched in most major catalogs and can't seem to find any relay that meets the spec. Does such product even exist? :confused: Thank all for your help in advance, much appreciated!

John Luciani

Joined Apr 3, 2007
Hi all,

I'm looking for a relay that will handle voltage up to 1500VDC at a very low current, and switching/controlling voltage has to be 5V. I've searched in most major catalogs and can't seem to find any relay that meets the spec. Does such product even exist? :confused: Thank all for your help in advance, much appreciated!
I am not sure about the 5V but Kilovac can do the high voltage ---
http://relays.tycoelectronics.com/kilovac

(* jcl *)

theeloquentmime

Joined Nov 9, 2008
Thank you all for your help. After reading through the pages, I have a question.

What does the relay parameter "Contact Rating @ Voltage" mean? It seems that the relays are able to handle high voltage at low current, and high current at low voltage. In the particular application I'm interested in, it has very low current. (less than 0.5mA) Does that mean I can use a relay that is perhaps rated for 3A @ 30VDC? If not, what will happen if I use it?

Also, how is the voltage rating on relays determined? By the amount of insulation to prevent arcing?

Thanks again for your help.

scubasteve_911

Joined Dec 27, 2007
I believe you're right, it must be the amount of insulation that dictates the voltage rating. Remember, relay contacts can be fairly close and high voltage may arc to make contact. There is a separate switching power rating, which is in VA or watts. Clearly, you're under this rating for almost any relay.

Steve