Downloading

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by PackratKing, Oct 2, 2010.

1. PackratKing

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Hello Galz & Guyz..............

Contemplating the download of LTSpice..........need to know how much memory this thing will consume..... or is it possible to download to disc.......I am on a shared comp for the time being, and don't want to be a memory hog.............:D

2. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    My LTspice folder in Program files is 49Mb - pretty small

3. Rbeckett

Sep 3, 2010
    Pack, heres a thought. Why not pick up one of the current crop of super small portable hard drives and down load it to the drive, then you can run it wherever you go. You can send all of the data to the same drive, so you are never without the ability wherever you are. The drives are super cheap, I have a Terra Byte drive for 139.00, smaller ones are much cheaper. Or you could use a thumb drive if it is only 50 or 60 Meg. That way you are not hoging memory and your stuff is secure too.
    Bob

PackratKing likes this.
  4. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    LTSpice works quiet well run from a USB thumb drive, and will easily fit on even the smallest of ones you can pick up at most convenience stores...
    I use a 16gig micro SD card in my phone, my phones always on me and the micro SD card came with a USB micro SD card read the size of my thumbnail =) My last 8gig memory stick was bigger than this....

PackratKing likes this.
  5. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    MicroSD cards with the full size SD adapters are getting close to $1 per GB nowadays and adapters to plug them into a standard USB port can be found for a few $$. I generally pop the occasional item I need or want into my Amazon account - especially those that come with free shipping if your total order is $25 or more - then when I have enough in there to reach the free shipping point I use my CC or you can always hit up any number of places and buy an Amazon gift card for yourself to use.

PackratKing likes this.
  6. PackratKing

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2008
    :)Thanx all !! :)

If I had stuck with computers when "64K" was all the rage :D I might be in better shape today.

Trouble is, there are so darn many [[ for lack of a more accurate term ]] bastardizations of computer equipment, and not enuf standardization. :mad:

My next task tho', is to slow down long enough to get my son, the compu-geek of the family, to teach me how to put up pictures

I gave up on [ repairing ] cameras when digital caught fire, finding it's hard to put a jumpercable between a film camera and a computer.......:D convinced me it's time to upgrade my technology

7. sceadwian

Jun 1, 2009
    Wishful thinking, but not quiet, it's still a log curve. Lowest price I can find for 8gig is $15 16gig is $40 dollars, 32gig is $135.

I paid 52 for my 16gig, and it came with a USB microSD card read as I said. I use Amazon sometimes, but Newegg is good as well.

You'll never catch up Packrat, but trying is great fun and you will learn. The world is slowly going to higher degrees of standardization though it's going to be years before that starts to sink in.

I wouldn't give up on real film, digital cameras are nice but it takes some seriously advanced hardware AND software to equal the simplicity of regular film, and it will likely always have it's art niche. The one thing that the current explosion in digital image capture technology gives us is access to incredibly huge amounts of digital image data =) Processing that image data is where the real complexity lays.

There are gigapixel photos out there on the net which have web interfaces so you can move and zoom in and out on scales that could never be done with conventional film, and it's not even really a single shot, it's a montage of many shots. But the sheer data density is mind altering =)

8. Audioguru

Dec 20, 2007
    I saw a portable 1TB (one thousand gigabytes) hard drive the other day selling for only $100. My Pentium4 pc has a 160GB hard drive. It is 5 years old and the drive is half full. It is also half empty.

Are you using an old 486 pc? Mine started with a 540MB hard drive and died with a 2GB hard drive.

9. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    The sales at NewEgg and especially mwave.com sometimes have a 4G for $4.95, often with free shipping. You can find the same thing on the smaller ones on eBay, nobody wants anything smaller than 8 anymore.