Downloading of Attachments

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by louarnold, Feb 18, 2011.

1. louarnold

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 18, 2011
    I seem to have trouble downloading attachments. No matter how I go about it, I seem to wind up with a file named "attachment.php".

It must be something obvious that I am missing. I'm using IE8 with IEPro7.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Can you give an example?

Off the top of my head it sounds like you have a plug in screwing with you, like IE Pro. Downloads should be very straight forward, most of them are either graphics files, PDF, or zip files, and the name shouldn't change like that.

As a kludge you can try to rename the file back to what the attachment name was you clicked on, and see if it is intact.

Typically images (such as .png, .gif, and .jpg) are not true downloads, they should pop up in a different screen with a web address above it. This web address is very useful for other things, such as displaying the image full size within a post. To get it on your desktop as a file you need to right click on the image while it is full size in a new screen, click copy image, and past it into an open graphics file (I use M/S Paint). What the name is is actually up to you.

I am attaching a graphics file (.gif and .png are preferred formats for sites like this) to practice on.

I am also including a .zip file. Windows in all its forms is pretty compatible with .zip, while I'm not familiar with Win7 I believe this would still be the case. When you click on it it should ask where to put it.

Most people do not like .zip files, so use them sparingly. It is too easy to spread viruses with them, which is part of the problem you are having. Big Brother MicroSoft wants to protect you.

This file, PaintCAD.zip, is a bunch of graphic templates I copy/paste off of to draw schematics. I put it in its own folder within My Documents.

It is possible you are trying to save the web page instead of the file. Images must be copied, true files (such as .zip) need to be downloaded, which is why I gave you both. This would be the case if you are clicking "file/Save page".

I use Firefox. It is pretty similar to IE8, which I use at work.

Welcome to AAC!

magnet18 likes this.
  3. magnet18

Dec 22, 2010
    Thanks for the paint files Bill :)
    I know it wasn't your intent, but these will be handy :D

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Just go to my blog, I offer those (and keep them updated) and a bit more. It's how I draw my pretty schematics.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    A suggestion to the OP (original poster), click on the link circled in red on the attached image (click on the image to see it full size). Click on the real time site image on post #2, not this picture.

7. louarnold

Feb 18, 2011
    Vista advices of a blok to to download which I then enable. But the I still get "atachment.php" and the file size is always 20KB.

8. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    So you clicked on little blue PaintCAD.zip on the bottom of post #2?

It sounds like you are downloading the web page, not the file. It also sounds like a configuration of IEPro7 that is preventing you from downloading the file properly. I use IE8 all the time at work and have no problems.

Question, WinXP, Vista, or Win7?

9. louarnold

Feb 18, 2011
    You are absolutely correct.

Solved: To download attachments from this web site, disable the Mini Downloader in IE7Pro if you are using it. Then just click on the attachment name. An altogether different download dialogue is presented from that used by the IE7Pro downloader and you will get the actual file vs just the file "attachment.php".

Thank you for your help, Bill Marsden.

10. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You will find we are a patient bunch, flaming is absolutely forbidden. This includes beginners questions. Have fun with the site!

As I mentioned, pictures work a little differently, so if you have problems just ask.

Bill's Index - my blog.

I'm kinda proud of myself, as I'm the middle of a flu bug.