Double Pole Double Throw Solid State

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
Here is the Data Sheet from Analog Devices.

I have been looking at Solid State Relay type devices, but I am still playing catch up.

I am looking for devices like the one I linked to above that are multi-pole
multi-throw or preferably both.

They seem to be fairly rare and I think they will tend to have similarly low voltage tolerances.

I should also be interested in drivers for external higher power switching devices.

I am experimenting with switched capacitator Power Supplys for anyone that needs to know what I need these for.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Interesting.
Well, the ICL7660/ICL7660S are industry standard switched-capacitor converters; albeit low power devices they are remarkably efficient. You might consider using a few of those in parallel if that would satisfy your requirement.

If you really want to go the switched capacitor route for a higher current supply, you'll probably need to look at using discrete MOSFETs, as at 0.4 Ohms resistance you'll get a fair bit of loss.

Still, switched-capacitor DC-DC converters are generally only used for low power applications; if you need more than about 100mA current, you really need to look at using inductors. Otherwise, your board space requirements will get out of hand.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I was more interested in the reduction in circuitry and work on timing from a DPDT device. I have started to reconsider mechanical relays - originally I thought they would be too slow. I think there is a brute force way around that if I set up multiple parallel switchpaths and time stagger them.
Every path is only a single extra multiple. Relays are not too reliable and multiple paths is not exactly simpler. It is just at a thinking and learning stage.

I am already a fan of OMRONs SSRs, but isolation might not be a critical requirement for the circuit that I am working on.

I have a few ranges, all downconverting from a higher voltage to fractions of the upper voltage. Currents are looking to be too high. Sgt mentioned that at anything above a few hundred milliamps Capacitor switching is not very useful.

I am just learning things the hard way by looking at the alternatives. Switched Inductors handle high currents better than capacitors can.

timrobbins

Joined Aug 29, 2009
You may be jumping from the frying pan into the fire if you are contemplating switched inductors!

Switchmode, in whatever flavour, is fraught with tradeoffs.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Well, it would help us to help you if you would give some specifications.

For example, what kind of input voltage range do you have, and what output voltage and current do you need, and at what efficiency?

80% or better is not too hard to hit, and not terribly complex. If you're wanting to get into the mid-to-high 90%, it gets a bit more complex.

Potato Pudding

Joined Jun 11, 2010
I am looking at ±105V for outer rails.

I need ±53V, ±37V, ±22V, and ±8V Lower Rails.

But I think I will crawl before I walk and walk before I run.

So I am going to try for the center first with ±22V, and ±8V Lower Rails.

Once that is working I can build the rest and float the center inside the outer supply.

Hopefully if I blow anything up I do it while I working with the lower power supply.

Stan Stanoi

Joined Oct 28, 2015
Here is the Data Sheet from Analog Devices.

I have been looking at Solid State Relay type devices, but I am still playing catch up.

I am looking for devices like the one I linked to above that are multi-pole
multi-throw or preferably both.

They seem to be fairly rare and I think they will tend to have similarly low voltage tolerances.

I should also be interested in drivers for external higher power switching devices.

I am experimenting with switched capacitator Power Supplys for anyone that needs to know what I need these for.

Stan Stanoi

Joined Oct 28, 2015
Do realize it is an old Thread

but if it ever gets seen visited again which will happen
There here is it
3 pole SSR's
There is a way to make them work as DPDT or TPDT ( tripple pole Double through by combining 2 of them)

Note the difference between the Zero crossing and Random versions

It take a real experience or learned person to design something logical when dealing with hi power /AC

and if any one still pursues

you might want to read through and then decide if you want to buy any

I am willing to let go a few only for those who want to use it personally

Regards