double flash alternating flasher using 555

gadget25

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Hi Guys,

Is it possible to make the red LED flash 2 times then stop, then make blue LED flash 2 times just using a 555 timer? Diagram will be much appreciated :)

gadget25

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Hello bertus,

Now I have a question regarding the link you posted, it is shown on the diagrams that I have to use transistor and diodes, but it is not specified what type of transistor or diode I should use. It is not specified does this means that I can choose what type of transistor or diode I want? I would really appreciate it if you could shed me some light :D

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

In the first picture of the post it says:
CR = 1N4454 , 1N 914 or equivalent.
Q = 2N222 or equivalent.

The same components are used in the other schematics.
Perhaps Bill will verify this.

Greetings,
Bertus

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I had a similar request for a virtually identical circuit, which I did. I'll hunt it down and post the link, but I'm about to step out the door.

It can be done, and is fairly easy. It took 3 555s, one to select which 555 flasher was lighting up, and the other two to flash their respective LEDs.

gadget25

Joined Mar 6, 2010
Something is bugging me, what you just said is what was going in my head, 2 555 timers for the blinking for each set of LED's and the third 555 timer is used to pick which one of the 2 555 timers will run.

Is this possible? :) Anyhow I will try to make this work, if not I will go for your circuit the 3.1 version police flasher. :)

Many Thanks and best regards

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Sure, but you would replace the one 555 with a couple resistors and a transistor to act as a logical inverter.

See U2A? That's just being used as an inverter.

So, instead of using two 556 timers, you would use one 555, one 556, and a transistor with a couple more resistors.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
And wind up with more parts.

The original article I referred to wound up gravitating to the original suggestion, a 555 and 4017.

You could also use multivibrators and use 7 transistors. :D

There really is a huge number of ways to do this.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Yep, there's lots of ways to do things; the possibilities are endless. ;)

Speaking of keeping parts count down, I just had another look a bit ago at the thread of yours that Bertus linked to... I trimmed 72 parts from one of your schematics replacing them with 3, and it still does the same thing. ;)

Original:

Modification:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
There is a problem with the idea though, it assumes all the diodes (quantity and colors) are the same. We have enough trouble getting people new to electronics used to the idea that a resistor is required (What if I regulate voltage, or I want to get the parts count down).

The idea was persued somewhat with the current regulator earlier in the article.