double DPDT Switch got me stumped

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Anthony J Brock, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Anthony J Brock

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 2, 2015
    Firstly hello everyone first time post so please go easy on me. I'm a tinkerer so forever pulling things apart and turning them into other things which brings me to my problem.

I salvaged 2 DPDT switches and a motor from a $20 sewing machine pulled it apart but didn't pay attention to the wiring. I want to recreate the same function they were doing before. The first switch is for power. Then the seccond was used to change the speed of the motor using a resistor wired to the top pole and the bottom pole of the switch? . I cant figure out how it was wired can anyone help? here are some photoes.

oh it runs off a battery and if your curious I'm making a pottery wheel lol. 20151003_003520.jpg 20151003_003533.jpg

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    It is a diode so it seems they were just changing AC line voltage to a 60 volt RMS rectified level from the 120 VAC.

3. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    That seems to mean it runs on a "universal" type motor and not an AC induction motor.

4. Anthony J Brock

Oct 2, 2015
    Ok so it has nothing to do with changing the speed of the motor? And was used as part of the ac power option the sewing machine once had so does nothing apart from add confusion foe me..

Sorry my circuit talk is terrible half the time im saying that thingy does this and that thingy slows this down

5. Anthony J Brock

Oct 2, 2015
    This is what was left after the butchering if that helps

6. Anthony J Brock

Oct 2, 2015
    Ok so the motor has this (in picture ) on it is that how they slowed it down? 1443800685613.jpg

nsaspook likes this.
  7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    As @Kermit2 mentions many of the lower end Sewing machines are a Universal motor and often use a variable resistance in the pedal.
    The presence of motor brushes is an indication.
    Max.

8. AnalogKid

Distinguished Member

Aug 1, 2013
    Top photo:
    Both switches are DPDT, alternate action. Only one pole is used on each switch.
    The one on the left is for power. The AC line comes in on the center contact (brown), and switched AC comes off the lower contact (blue).
    The right switch is for speed. Pushed in is half speed, out is full speed. The diode goes through the left side contacts for support only. Only the right side contacts are controlling the motor. AC power comes into the switch on the center contact. AC power out to the motor comes from the upper contact.

ak

9. Anthony J Brock

Oct 2, 2015
    I could be wrong but i dont think what I'm making is AC. I'm pretty sure it's DC. It had the option of both on the original sewing machine. It could run off either power cord or battery power. What I'm doing is batt only

10. Anthony J Brock

Oct 2, 2015
    Oh and thankyou to everyone who commented it has been helping ☺