Dot Product

knog

Joined May 24, 2009
Right Guys,
I'm trying to come up with a RT level schematic that carries out a dot-product algorithm.
Any one has any ideas how in general, one needs to proceed if one plans to make a schematic (or design) that carries out the proposed algorithm?
I plan on making it detail, including the Signals, nets, muxes, registers etc.

Any ideas? And hope I'm explanatory enough

Thanks in advance

steinar96

Joined Apr 18, 2009
Well, i assume you are doing a digital circuit that performs the dot product on digital numbers.

Some things that you're going to have to decide is whether the numbers are taken parallel or serial in and out of the circuit. You'll propably want to design a clocked state machine.

knog

Joined May 24, 2009
Issue is, I'm required to create RT level schematic of the DATAPATH component. The DATAPATH should make use of registers, muxes, nets and ofcourse signals. Looking into CSM as u suggested.

Cheers

And by the way, the inputs would be taken in parallel (8 simultaneously). After which the addition would be done

Last edited:

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I would start with the two basic operations.
  1. Multiply operands A and B together
  2. Add the result of the multiplication to the current sum

knog

Joined May 24, 2009
yeah, that's what has been done. But I'm thinking, do I just have a block in the schematic that does the Addition (just drawing a block with the '+' sign in it), then have another for shift (i.e. multiplication). In which all this would be in the ALU? or something else

I hope you understand?