Dot Matrix LCD Pinout

Arzulia

Joined Nov 26, 2009
I bought a bunch of these exact LCDs a few years ago. http://www.wellgainelectronics.com/alpsnea02151aa.aspx

I've been going crazy looking everywhere for a datasheet for it so I can actually use them now. I can't find any information on them anywhere except some ebay users who are selling some. I've contacted them all and none of them have a copy of the datasheet or information on how to interface tot he device.

If anybody has the datasheet or could steer me in the right direction to figuring out the 18 pin cable I would be immensely grateful.

Arzulia

Joined Nov 26, 2009
I tried contacting ALPS about it, whom I believe is the manufacturer of it all. Their response was that they had no information on the device. :(

Arzulia

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Try to find the manufacturer otherwise buy other LCD modules.
I'm pretty sure I already contacted the manufacturer, as I said, unless it's not the one whose name is all over the board. I haven't been able to find information saying otherwise though.

As for buying another LCD. I appreciate that your responding to me at all, but that's kind of useless. I said I already have these, and that I'm trying to figure out how to use them. I sincerely mean no offence, but telling me to give up and buy something else is a worthless statement.

A friend of mine suggested using a multimeter to see which pins of the cable are connected to which pins of the chips on the board and looking up the individual chips. Sounds kind of insane but I might give that a try in the meantime.

I would still greatly appreciate any actual advice.

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
Your friend is right. You can identify the pins of the module according to the LCD drive chip (if possible). If you do it correctly it will not blow up. :p

Arzulia

Joined Nov 26, 2009
As it turns out after ripping the screen apart, there is no chip on it at all. So I guess whatever driver this thing would need is not included. :confused:

So I think I might be screwed and have bought all these displays for nothing. :(

mik3

Joined Feb 4, 2008
As it turns out after ripping the screen apart, there is no chip on it at all. So I guess whatever driver this thing would need is not included. :confused:

So I think I might be screwed and have bought all these displays for nothing. :(
Can you post some picture of the displays?

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Have you tried contacting Well Gain? Maybe they have a datasheet?

Arzulia

Joined Nov 26, 2009
Can you post some picture of the displays?
The only image is available in the link I gave, but I will provide a higher quality version. It is the best that my digital camera could take: http://www.metametrics.ca/images/display-back.jpg
The top cable is 4 output lines for x/y coords of the touchscreen. The other cable is supposed to power and control the display, it has 18 pins.

Have you tried contacting Well Gain? Maybe they have a datasheet?
Yes I have, and unfortunately they had no information to give.

ALPS does not manufacture displays. I think the seller is not someone you can trust.
I'm not really sure what seller your refering to. Maybe Well Gain Electronics? I didn't buy it from them, nor did they give me any information though. My assumption that it was designed by ALPS is because "ALPS" is stamped on the boards.

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I think U can get the onboard LVDS drive chip no. by desoldering the cable that connects the two board and lifting the upper board.
I have seen these, the chip is on the underside of the TOP board.
Give it a try, but be careful as the cable connecting the front panel to IO LVDS board is quite fragile.

Rifaa