Door help/detection

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
Yo guys..
can anyone help me/ advice me to this problem in my project?

i need to detect a person going out of a room. Yes, only out and not in.
what kinda sensor/module i can use and it must be small enough to attach at the door or ...?
Also if i want it to transmit wireless to my laptop.

Recently i just do some research on touch switch which might work as it could be attached to the door as the person is going to lock the door, he must touch it which send a signal to my laptop via wire.

how can i do it? is it possible?

Any suggestion/ help would be appreciated.

ecjohnny

Joined Jul 16, 2005
yeah.. a mat. i thought of it too. if i want it to have a transmitter/ receiver how can i modify it. or is there any small flexible transmitter/ receiver out there? Anyway i ma just asking.

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
How far away will your laptop be from the room (captive person) you are monitoring? Just kidding on the captivity issue!

They make driveway motion sensors that transmit wirelessly. Place the sensor/transmitter above the door pointing down and put the receiver wherever you are in the room. The only question is whether or not it will transmit through walls. $15-$20 max.

If you are intent on having your computer receive the data there may be a way to wire the receiver, but I'm not the guy to spell that out for you.

FunkiiMunkii

Joined Sep 16, 2008
Assuming that only one person goes through the door at any given time, you could use IR sensor to detect direction of motion. This probably won't work as well as the pressure door mat, but it will be cheaper, smaller, and less noticeable.

I guess sending the signal to the laptop wireless is the hard part. You could try using RF modules to send the signal to a microcontroller connected to your USB.

Last edited: