Dont Understand AMPS

Ala888

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Untitled.png

Hi, Im a new electronics hobbyist!

One major problem I have stumbled upon is the idea of how electricity takes
the least path of resistance. If 2 paths are presented then the path with
least resistance will be taken by the electrons, while the higher resistance path
will get only a minuscule amount of current.

Yet, I dont understand the reasoning behind my diagram.
If it is correct, then shouldnt current(a decent amount) flow only through the
black wire? How come one green wire only gets 0.00001 amps, while the other gets 2amps? Shouldnt it be 0.000002 also? How do they differ from one and another?

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
"the path of least resistance" assumes limited "amps".

In your diagram, unlimited amps are implied. Amps will flow in each circuit independent of the other. Limited by respective resistance to flow.

Ala888

Joined Jun 26, 2014
I'm sorry, but I dont quite follow what you just said. Im just a giant noob!
could you post a corrected version of my diagram, or use laymans terms?
Thanks for the help

Ala888

Joined Jun 26, 2014
Okay, so there are 2 green wires
Both have 10 ohm resistors
The one on the top right gets almost no current because it is parallel with a wire, which
has no resistance. As such, current prefers the wire a lot more.

The other green wire, on the left, gets current, despite having the same amount of resistance. This is because it is parallel with the black circuit, which has 5 ohms. The difference between the two aren't so big as like the first case, so the green circuit on the left gets 2 amps while the circuit on the top right gets 0.00001 amps.
Am I Right?

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
Tthe current is proportional to resistance for a fixed voltage as in your diagram. So you are correct in that the 10Ω leg gets 2A and the 5Ω leg gets 4A. The other shorted resistor basically sees no current flow because the short is effectively 0 resistance.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
the path os least resistance dosnt get the current, all the current is shared in a ratio of resistances. thats why the upper 10 ohm resistor has a little current, in the ratio of the resistance of the shorting wire and 10 ohms of the resistor. while the 5 ohm reisitor is in series and all the current for the branch on the right flows through it. the shorting wire has a little resistance.

inwo

Joined Nov 7, 2013
I'm sorry, but I dont quite follow what you just said. Im just a giant noob!
could you post a corrected version of my diagram, or use laymans terms?
Thanks for the help
Diagram seems ok to me,

Amps is analogous to water flow thru pipes.

If you have a limited water supply, then your statement makes sense. The water will take the path of least resistance. Some paths may have near zero flow.

However, with an unlimited supply, (diagram suggests no limit) all paths will see flow rates (amps) in proportion to restrictions. (ohms)

The only reason I even mention this is to bring some truth to a statement that is misleading at best.

Ala888

Joined Jun 26, 2014
ciorcuits.png
hey guys

would this rendition of the amps within a parallel circuit be correct?
e.g. the red amps would be found along the red wire

thanks a bunch

nDever

Joined Jan 13, 2011
View attachment 70250
hey guys

would this rendition of the amps within a parallel circuit be correct?
e.g. the red amps would be found along the red wire

thanks a bunch
Yes. The currents are correct. And just a side note, you are using the word amp as if it were a physical object. An amp is a unit of measurement, namely, speed. You are trying to describe current.