Don’t talk to aliens, warns Stephen Hawking

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Truth, unless we are stupider than I think we are we are likely to be the interstellar species Stephen warned us about.

It ain't pretty folks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Maybe life is a great big lottery with infinitesimal odds. We won. There will always be a winner eventually. Maybe the odds are so high, there is only one winner. That is not impossible to imagine. In isolation, as we appear to be, the winner has no way to know what the odds were. That is why we need to explore. As for my personal belief, I believe other life is likely to have emerged and possibly as close to us as on Mars.

On the other hand, I would take an unpopular view that expansion of more advanced societies always works out badly for the aboriginal species or societies. That may be true for the neanderthals, but to say their disappearance was "bad" denies the "good" of evolution.

As for the New World Indians, it is a fantasy to think it was all love and harmony with nature. Their society was pretty brutal and included genocide, ritualistic killing, and cannibalism.

John

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I like SciFi, this is an old subject to them, and is still being explored. A new book out by John Ringo (Live Free or Die) is just about that subject. An alien race sets up a star gate in solar orbit, sets up a schedule of fees to use the gate with no restrictions, and then the raiders (other alien races) start arriving wanting our metals and other items that would be valuable to an advanced civilization.

I doubt our real estate would be that valuable, but what do I know?

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Who knows Bill? There may be other metals and elements closer to the center of the planet that we humans have yet to discover. We may have immense stores of it, and the alien race that has been exhausting their supply for years will come and take it.

Kind of like here on Earth we have wars for oil.... ;)

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
Klaatu!
"Klaatu barada nikto"

coincidence you say?

KL7AJ...starts with KL,

if A= 1 (1st letter of the english human alphabet)
and
J=10 (10th letter of the english human alphabet)
then in my voodooLogic:

7 + A = 8
J - 8 = 2

7 + A subtracted from J = 2 (atu)

KLAATU!!! (KL7AJ)

"KL7AJ barada nikto"

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Are there any ALIENS in the audience tonight?

GET THEM UP AGAINST THE WALL!

Theres on in the spotlight! He dont look right to me!

GET HIM UP AGAINST THE WALL!

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
We have aliens among us.......no wonder this site is good...
OK...that's it I changed my mind..

We need an Alien forum instead, forget entertainment.