domestic Installation

Prince_nqobani

Joined Oct 13, 2014
Hi everyone, 2mrw I've got this not so big task of Connecting a Geyser onto the DB. This person gave me a 60Amp rating circuit breaker to install the the geyser with. My worry is that I think this breaker has a High Current Capacity and it might damage the Heating Element. Should I Continue with this or I should just ask the guy to buy atleast a 35Amp Breaker?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
The circuit breaker does not protect or damage your appliance. It is to protect your house from burning down.

What is the current/voltage/wattage rating of your geyser?
What is the current and voltage service to your house?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Are you pulling a new wires for the geyser or using wires and outlets already in the house. Not only do you need to know the service rating to the house, you need to know the size wires being used. For example, 12 gauge wires are usually fused with a 20 ampere breaker. Thirty-five amperes would require larger wires.

John

Prince_nqobani

Joined Oct 13, 2014
Thanks a lot for the Reply... The service to this house is a 230v 60amps...

So I'm given a 60amp Circuit breaker to install this Geyser. I didn't check the Power rating of this Geyser, so now I'm worried that this geyser my get burned from this high Current Breaker... Thanks mrchips

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
If your geyser draws 20A, it will take 20A. The 60A breaker only determines the maximum current to supply before tripping in the event of a catastrophic failure.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
According to this source (http://www.miccomcables.com/Webrochure/Current Carrying Capacities & Other Technical Tables.pdf ), the maximum current for 4 mm\(^2\) is 32A (two current carrying wires). Current carrying capacity is based on temperature rise, so the current capacity is reduced for higher ambient temperatures. See the table on the right.

I would definitely not use a 60A breaker and probably not even a 30 A breaker. If your home is only wired for 60A max, that is the sum of all equipment you are running.

Edit: just saw your comment about the device being <2KW. I would just use a 20A breaker, which will allow 4.6 KW max. Thus, you will have a little headroom to allow for motor starting, yet be safe from fire.

John

Prince_nqobani

Joined Oct 13, 2014
Thank you All for helping me.... And I'll take all of your advices. 20amp CB it is. The 60Amp will just Park for while. Thanks a lot guys.