domestic Installation

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Prince_nqobani, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Prince_nqobani

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Hi everyone, 2mrw I've got this not so big task of Connecting a Geyser onto the DB. This person gave me a 60Amp rating circuit breaker to install the the geyser with. My worry is that I think this breaker has a High Current Capacity and it might damage the Heating Element. Should I Continue with this or I should just ask the guy to buy atleast a 35Amp Breaker?

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The circuit breaker does not protect or damage your appliance. It is to protect your house from burning down.

What is the current/voltage/wattage rating of your geyser?
    What is the current and voltage service to your house?

3. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Are you pulling a new wires for the geyser or using wires and outlets already in the house. Not only do you need to know the service rating to the house, you need to know the size wires being used. For example, 12 gauge wires are usually fused with a 20 ampere breaker. Thirty-five amperes would require larger wires.

John

Prince_nqobani likes this.
  4. Prince_nqobani

Oct 13, 2014
    Thanks a lot for the Reply... The service to this house is a 230v 60amps...

So I'm given a 60amp Circuit breaker to install this Geyser. I didn't check the Power rating of this Geyser, so now I'm worried that this geyser my get burned from this high Current Breaker... Thanks mrchips

5. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If your geyser draws 20A, it will take 20A. The 60A breaker only determines the maximum current to supply before tripping in the event of a catastrophic failure.

6. Prince_nqobani

Oct 13, 2014
    @john these are new wires... 4mm^2 I'm sure they're good for the job..

7. Prince_nqobani

Oct 13, 2014
    So 2mrw morning you guys are giving me a Go ahead with the 60Amp circuit breaker?

8. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    We didn't say that.

We would never say go ahead and burn down your house.

What is the current or wattage rating of your geyser?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. Prince_nqobani

Oct 13, 2014
    I didn't check it, but I'm sure its less than 2kw..

10. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    According to this source (http://www.miccomcables.com/Webrochure/Current Carrying Capacities & Other Technical Tables.pdf ), the maximum current for 4 mm^2 is 32A (two current carrying wires). Current carrying capacity is based on temperature rise, so the current capacity is reduced for higher ambient temperatures. See the table on the right.

I would definitely not use a 60A breaker and probably not even a 30 A breaker. If your home is only wired for 60A max, that is the sum of all equipment you are running.

Edit: just saw your comment about the device being <2KW. I would just use a 20A breaker, which will allow 4.6 KW max. Thus, you will have a little headroom to allow for motor starting, yet be safe from fire.

John

11. Prince_nqobani

Oct 13, 2014
    Thank you All for helping me.... And I'll take all of your advices. 20amp CB it is. The 60Amp will just Park for while. Thanks a lot guys.