Dog suffering from withdrawal (not a tall tale/tail)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gdrumm, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Our Grandaughter moved out, and left her dog.
    The dog got anxious, and tried to rip down my back door.

When trying to repair the door, I needed my Makita cut off disk power tool.
    It worked intermittently, and this caused an even bigger problem.
    I took it apart, and the on-off switch was hooked up to a plastic extender that went outside the handle, but the extender was slipping off the switch. I drilled a thru hole thru both the switch and extender, and put a small screw thru both, and that fixed that.

The tool still had intermitten on-off problem, so I pulled the brushes, and they looked bad.
    I had some new ones in the package, same size, and spring, but at the back of the spring, the brass piece had lugs that need to be guided into the slot (following the brush down the hole).

I couldn't get the lugs oriented correctly, and keep them there, while I screwed in the threaded brush cap.
    So I drilled a small hole in the center of the threaded brush cap(s), then I used a big paperclip down thru the hole, and used that to hold the brush down in the hole while I started the cap. That worked.

Has anyone else ever had to do that?
    I'll bet not........... at least not because of a sad suffering dog named Guardian.

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    No but I had to use a cut off disk to get a dog to fit into a box.. :eek:

shortbus, strantor and Gdrumm like this.
  3. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    When putting together a GM alternator you have to first seat the brushes then insert paper clip through a hole in the back of the case. After case halves are together do not forget to remove paper clip. :-(

Gdrumm likes this.
  4. Gdrumm

Thread Starter Distinguished Member

Aug 29, 2008
    Allegoricaly speaking, I thought about something like that (stuffing the dog in a box), but he's really a good pooch, and like Slick Willy, I feel his pain.
    "I feel your pain" was a Bill Clinton campaign slogan from eons ago.

You made me laugh mcgyvr.
    Thanks

5. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    Fond memories and yes, exactly. :)

Ron

6. strantor

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    No, but I've burned up tens of minutes of my time and cut days off my lifespan cussing at brushes that stay put just long enough to taunt you, and pull a jack-in-the-box the instant before you get the first thread started. Apparently I need to work smarter, not harder, for my own health's sake. Thanks for the idea. Never again will I let this springed beast best me on the battlefield of wit! (even if it isn't my own wit, it's still wit)

7. ian field

Distinguished Member

Oct 27, 2012
    It took me about 3 weeks of trial and error, and my entire stash of saved up brushes to find a pair that worked (after filing to size) in a motorcycle starter motor.

8. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    Sorry.. so gross.. I have no filter left on my mouth (or typing fingers I guess)
    I watched an episode of "The Following" a week or two ago and this sick psycho actually stuffed people in a 1ft cube while they were still living (paralyzed/breaking their bones) and it grossed me out and I can't forget it.. One of the sickest things I've seen on TV in a while..

Glad most of this forums members have a great sense of humor.. no matter how sick.. :)

Then of course my cat passed last week and of course did it in a superman sprawled out pose and I brought a box into the house to put him in and saw it was too small and again thought of the following again..... but I just got a bigger box