Does this look like a scam?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Yes it does. Not based on anything except an energy density several orders of magnitude higher than any other technology and the reapated delays and lack of verification. These are all signs of "dirty-doings-going-on"

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Walks like a duck, talks like a duck, .... its a duck!
This is sad this is happening so much these days. I think many people would be shocked at the % of these companies that are nothing more then fronts. 1st hand I've seen companies take in millions with nothing to show at all. And unfortunately there are many people here I'm sure with great ideas and no funding because they aren't con artist.

Paulo540

Joined Nov 23, 2009
Im not so sure if this is impossible.
A lot of the backers aren't anything to sneeze at. However, they were supposed to release a working prototype in 2008, and judging by my calendar, that was a little while ago...

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Caveat indeed. This is a reasonably interesting article - http://www.theoildrum.com/node/5557

As is, it is just a bit hairy as far as failure modes go. Up there with pressurizing the fuel line by placing a heater in the tank and boiling the gasoline.

The capacitor is about 30 Farads, and stores a bit over 52 KWH.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Give it a year or two, and the verdict will be in. If it is for real it will show up somewhere, if not it will sink out of view like a rock in a pond.

If it is for real it could make an impressive EMP bomb, or a thermal device, or something. Anything with this kind of energy storage winds up being a weapon somewhere, human nature being what it is.

It could put a whole new definition of firewall in a car. Customer talking to dealer, "I need a new back end. Yeah, my capacitor cat discharged."

In some ways it reminds me of the flywheel storage about a decade ago. This gadget reved up to ¼ million revs per minute, and was supposed to be good for 600 miles in a car. Basically a electric motor on the charge, generator on the discharge, the flywheel was on magnetic bearings (no real contact) in a vacuum. It was a real bear for it's failure modes though, so it disappeared. High speed shrapnel for a fender bender anyone?

The capacitor is much safer, it merely melts down the neighborhood. It if for real though it will find uses. I'd also be interested in its thermal characteristics though, how hot/cold can it get and still work.

Maybe we can finally store lightning. :D

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
Wikipedia, the information is volunteered and this subject has a short history,
so if this is a scam why not take your information to wikipedia for an answer
why they listed it and asked for sources.Why let it stay out there on wikipedia
if you are right,maybe wikipedea will use the forum for a resource. Some people
take wikipedea as a correct source with out question.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just googled this super capacitor again, the EEStor. For someone who still doesn't have a commercial product available they are still hanging in there, with some big name investors putting large chunks of money down.

I'm very interested is smaller versions of these will work for components on PCBs.

Last edited:

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
It is an Irish based firm named Steorn(.com). They claim they have an overunity device. Steorn have been around for quite a long time now. And they have yet not proven anything...................

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
I don't think its a scam. Those companies didn't invest millions into a scam okay.
Wiki is user generated. Contact the listed companies and see if they truly invested in that endeavor. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Read their website ... EESTORs website is "under construction". I guess they depend on the viral nature of the internet and the varying opinons for their popularity. Invest if you wish.

Last edited:

zero_coke

Joined Apr 22, 2009
Wiki is user generated. Contact the listed companies and see if they truly invested in that endeavor. Just because it's on the internet doesn't make it true.

Read their website ... EESTORs website is "under construction". I guess they depend on the viral nature of the internet and the varying opinons for their popularity. Invest if you wish.
Well maybe they are trying to keep it a secret and waiting for the right time to release the information. Sort of like how everyone knows when Apple's iPhone 4G is coming out but Apple never said anything about it and denying the release date fans are blurting out.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
The "information" about this device started to hit the press several years ago. The delays in making the cap testable by disinterested parties are suspicious. The claims, like charging a car in 5 minutes (and this a several hundred mile capable battery) are a bit hard to give credence to.

There was a "right time" back when gas went up to over $4.00/gal. Look at all the electric and hybrid cars on the market. If they had anything that showed true promise, it would be licensed to several developers. Their electric car builder is all but bankrupt - no device has come to light as yet.

Note: - I should say no practical device.